We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow in Colorado Spring

Houston, Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snow in Colorado Spring

Hi, I plan go to colorado spring next week, is already snowy there? We're looking snow experience, kindly need your advise....

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,752 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow in Colorado Spring

Welcome to the Colorado forum. Colorado Springs is not in the mountains. Elevation is about 6000 ft. and there is no snow there currently. Like most front range cities, snow usually comes and goes throughout the winter and spring. Snow is predicted for later this week for Colorado Springs but then weather is to turn warmer and the snow will melt. To find snow this time of year, you need to go to higher elevations. If you want snow related activities, ski areas or ski resorts are your best bet. Breckenridge is about 2 hours from Colorado Springs if road conditions are good. Monarch Mountain Ski area is another option. With the snow predicted for this week, it is possible that near to Colorado Springs, Mueller State Park will still have some snow remaining next week. Although the summit of Pikes Peak looks pretty dry right now, there should be snow on the mountain and the Cog Railway is a fun experience.

If you are driving from Houston, you might want to check out the Wolf Creek Ski area. If you are flying into Denver, Winter Park Resort and Breckenridge are close and have snow.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow in Colorado Spring

Hi, Marthin A and welcome to the Colorado forums. I'm not in Colorado Springs but happened to see your post. Here's are links to some Colorado Springs area webcams. Looks like no snow. For a snow experience, you may need to head to the mountains...maybe Breckenridge, Winter Park.... Coming from Texas, you might consider heading for Pagosa Springs or Durango. Neither of those have much snow right in town yet but there's snow in the nearby mountains...i.e. Wolf Creek Pass and Durango Mountain Resort.

Just for example, you might check High Country Lodge outside Pagosa Springs toward Wolf Creek Pass. I checked with them last week and they said they didn't have enough snow for their tubing hill yet but they were forecasting snow.

http://www.cripplecreekwebcam.com/index.html

coloradolivecams.com/colosprngscams.htm

www.winterparkresort.com/media/web-cams.aspx

highcountrylodge.com/wolf_creek_ski_lodging.…

http://coloradolivecams.com/durangocam2.htm

www.durangomountainresort.com/snowreport/

Houston, Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow in Colorado Spring

thank you for your excelent information. If I'm not planning for ski, do I need to pay the same resort ticket price? Sorry, I'm newbie and just been in Houston for couple months.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow in Colorado Spring

If you are not skiing, you will not need to pay anything.

In Breckenridge, you can ride the gondola for free from town up to the base of Peak 8.

You cannot ride the ski lifts without a lift ticket, otherwise, you can enjoy all that the ski resort towns offer.

Matt

Houston, Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow in Colorado Spring

Thank you Matt.

You're right, we dont plan for skiing. My group coming from tropical country and very excited to see snow shower and to have experience building snow man, etc

We plan to drive from Hoston

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow in Colorado Spring

Snow in Colorado Springs on Thurs. according to www.weather.com/ is predicting snow @ 80% chance. We are not surrounded by mountains but we do have a 14,000 + mountain about 15 miles from the center of downtown. If you're coming from Houston you'll know you're getting close to Colorado Springs when you see the Mountains. Breckenridge is a couple of hours further into the mountains. You most likely will hit snow there, if you haven't hit it in CS! : )

Edited: 20 November 2013, 01:15
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow in Colorado Spring

Springschick, where do people go for sledding when it snows there? Are there some good spots with public access?

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow in Colorado Spring

I get your point, however, you can't paint the picture that Colorado Springs does not have mountains. I look out my window every day to view the "mountains". I came from Texas, my husband is from Houston, so that's my viewpoint. Let's keep it friendly here, it's all about getting the information that the OP is asking for. Thanks for all your input. We're a team here. We love Colorado Springs, as well as the rest of Colorado. We have live in many places around the world and cherish Colorado : )

9. Re: Snow in Colorado Spring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 06:19