We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging and itinerary questions.....

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alabama
Level Contributor
42 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging and itinerary questions.....

I need some recommendations for lodging in the area near Pike's Peak and Garden of the Gods. Plan to visit for a day or two in mid August. How much time should I allow for a trip up Pike's Peak? Is 2-3 hours each sufficient for the Garden of Gods and Air Force Academy? Any info is appreciated.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging and itinerary questions.....

Are you planning on taking the cog railway up to Pikes Peak or driving by yourselves? The train tour takes half a day, I haven't done the drive yet though. 2-3 hours is more than enough for the Air Force Academy. I work in aviation and am very interested in this field, but 3 hours was enough even for me. However Garden of Gods might be a different story. It is huge and really spectacular. It depends on what you want to do. If you just want to drive through, stop at the Visitor Center and do one or two of the short walks, then 3 hours is fine. If you want to really experience it and watch the climbers and take the different paths I recommend giving it at least half a day.

I always stay at Holiday Inn Airport when in CS. It is a great property.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging and itinerary questions.....

Hi

2-3 hours to drive Pike's Peak is ok. We did it in 2 hours but did not spend much time at its peak. 14.000 feet is very high and hiking is strenuous at this level.

Garden of the Gods is a gem and we stayed 2 hours. Can't tell you about AFA, didnot visit but Slo-Lju gave you info already.

We stayed for the night in the BW in Pueblo West. Recommended.

Tet{:o)-

Colorado
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging and itinerary questions.....

Where ever you decide to stay in Colorado Springs will be only a 20 -30 minute drive at the most so stay where you're comfortable and in your price range.

If you take the Cog up Pikes Peak, do allow 3-4 hours. It doesn't take that long but by the time you travel there, take the train, stay at the top and get back down it will be a while. I'd also recommend taking the train (or the drive, for that matter) in the morning as clouds will most definitely roll in after noon. Just because it's sunny and 80 degrees F in Colorado Springs does not mean that's what it is on the Peak.

I think you could do Garden of the Gods and AFA in the same day, just schedule your tour at the AFA ahead of time.

Have fun!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
759 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging and itinerary questions.....

We just got back from the area this week and we took the cog railway up one morning and then drove up another day. Both are very different experiences and I am glad we did both. I would advise making a reservation for the cog railway if you decide to do that. On their internet site, there is a coupon for $20 for adults for many 8am trains. Do take a coat! It was about 40 degrees up there when we went on July 5, and their had been some precipitation the night before, so there was a few patches of snow in the shady spots. My daughter loved making a snowball in July! Garden of the Gods is very nice- don't miss the movie in the visitor center about its history. There are 2 for 1 coupons for it on their website as well. We stayed in the Amerisuites on Garden of the Gods Rd. They are currently renovating, but we were not bothered by it. It was clean and a standard kind of room, nothing special. Breakfast was great and much more than most continental breakfasts with sausage, eggs and hot waffles.

5. Re: Lodging and itinerary questions.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 22:15