We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

Hartsburg, Missouri
Level Contributor
8 posts
383 reviews
Save Topic
Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

We are towing a fifth wheel, staying at Cheyenne mountain, have 4 nights booked...should get in by noon on the first day. We'd like to go to Pike's Peak, not so much Garden of the Gods. Would like to see Royal Gorge and Cripple Creek, are these a reasonable drive? We will be going on to Durango from Cheyenne Mountain, staying there at least 4 nights. Any suggestions? Might leave Colorado Springs a day early to spend more time in the Durango area if we can't find enough to do while based at Cheyenne Mountain.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

Top sights are: Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, Air Force, Manitou Springs, Old Colorado City, Cave of the Winds, Manitou Cliff Dwellings, Downtown eateries on Tejon St., The Broadmoor, Cheyenne Mt. Zoo-Will Rogers Shrine, Olympic Training Center, Pioneers Museum, Iron Springs Melodrama, Palmer Park, Glen Eyrie Castle, 7 Falls (North Cheyenne Canyon), Helen Hunt Falls, Red Rock Canyon Open Space, the new Space Foundation Discovery Center and a few other museums.

Royal Gorge will be about a 40 minute drive (can combine a rafting trip in Canon City) or a train ride through the RG. Cripple Creek would be over an hour depending on which route you take. One road may still be closed. Lots to see and do in Colorado Springs, if you like to hike I can give you some recommendations there.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 21:51
Hartsburg, Missouri
Level Contributor
8 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

Thanks, sounds like cripple creek not worth the drive. Probably will see pikes peak and leave, will have more time to spend in the Durango ouray area. Sounds like 2 nights in Colorado Springs will be plenty.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

Your welcome, enjoy your trip.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,104 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

I would leave a day or so early to head to Durango, and depending on which route you take, you can drive by and see the Royal Gorge Bridge fro either the highway, rafting or from the train through the canyon. The Royal Gorge Bridge Park was closed after a forest fire swept through the area last summer. The park is scheduled to open sometime Summer 2014. https://royalgorgebridge.com/

On the way to Durango you can stop to see Great Sand Dunes NP.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,190 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

don't leave without seeing garden of the gods ... its magical in afternoon light . you don't share what you enjoy ... there is so much to do and see in the area .. you could literally spend weeks and not get bored . Manitou springs is worth a stroll .. so is woodland park and cripple creek without a doubt.

Hartsburg, Missouri
Level Contributor
8 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

Cripple Creek...found out that's an active mine with huge trucks everywhere. if I wanted to see this I'd go to my local quarry...unless I'm missing something. We've been to Bryce and Arches, I've been told if you've been there you'll be disappointed in Garden of the Gods. Royal Gorge not opening until August.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

Royal Gorge will be open on a limited basis before August 2014 - beginning March 15. From their press release:

"While in full out construction mode to rebuild the park, tours on America’s Highest Suspension bridge are being offered between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Saturday’s and Sunday’s, weather and construction sequencing permitting. Guests will see history in the making while traveling in the open-air, 85 passenger people-mover the park recently purchased or the Royal Gorge Bridge bus.

Mike Bandera, Vice-President and General Manager, said the tours will be on a first come, first serve basis and cost $10 per head. Children age 3 and under are free, and season passes will be honored. The tour will start about one mile from the park’s Northside entrance on Fremont County Road 3A.

The tour will include a stop on the 85-year-old Royal Gorge Bridge so guests can step out to enjoy the views, and a stop at the Royal Rush Skycoaster and Point Sublime. For those patrons who wish to fly on the Skycoaster, the cost is $25 per head, $45 for two riders, and $60 for three. If they choose not to ride, they can walk up to Point Sublime for one of the best panoramic views of the region according to Bandera. The Royal Rush has been featured in the media internationally and nationally as a premier thrill ride."

We were in Cripple Creek last summer and toured the Mollie Kathleen Gold Mine and the Cripple Creek Heritage Center across the street. I can highly recommend both. The elevator to the mine is not for people with claustrophobia. We also enjoyed the beautiful Victorian architecture in the town of Cripple Creek. Our visit was in July and the wildflowers in the area and along highway 24 were just amazing. We did not see any mining trucks and in all our driving around Cripple Creek only caught one quick glimpse of the active AngloGold Ashanti mining operation. As others have mentioned, you could visit Cripple Creek on your way to Durango.

Since you were interested in Royal Gorge, you would really enjoy a visit to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park near Montrose if that fits in your plans.

Edited: 06 February 2014, 17:11
Hartsburg, Missouri
Level Contributor
8 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

Thanks for the advice! Too bad we won't be in the area on a Saturday or sunday, looks like royal gorge would have been great just the kind of thing we're looking for. All I could find for cripple creek was that active mine, but maybe the other one would be nice. Can't do much of anything in the way to durango pulling a fiver behind us though, would have to be day trips.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

Actually you could visit Cripple Creek on your way even pulling your fifth wheel although highway 67 is a short detour from highway 24. The Heritage Center has oversized parking on their lower lot and you can walk to the Mollie Kathleen Mine from the lower lot. I actually called the Heritage Center to make sure I remembered this correctly. The lady I spoke to said people with campers and trailers do it all the time, park in their oversized lot and visit both the museum and the mine. The highway 24/285 route is definitely more scenic than the I-25 route to Durango.

Edited: 06 February 2014, 19:18
Hartsburg, Missouri
Level Contributor
8 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

Wow thanks so much for checking on this! I think we will do that, and look into taking that alternate route to Durango.