We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

Hartsburg, Missouri
Level Contributor
8 posts
412 reviews
Save Topic
Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

We are towing a fifth wheel, staying at Cheyenne mountain, have 4 nights booked...should get in by noon on the first day. We'd like to go to Pike's Peak, not so much Garden of the Gods. Would like to see Royal Gorge and Cripple Creek, are these a reasonable drive? We will be going on to Durango from Cheyenne Mountain, staying there at least 4 nights. Any suggestions? Might leave Colorado Springs a day early to spend more time in the Durango area if we can't find enough to do while based at Cheyenne Mountain.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,372 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

I think we have a disconnect here between the actually operating industial type gold mine, which is actually in the town of victor .. and the historic town of cripple creek with its molly Kathleen mine which is a very interesting and informative tourist attraction . there are most certainly no "huge trucks" in the town of cripple creek. the heritage center is ok. my favorite attraction in cripple creek is the old homestead museum tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33379-d26… . as far as garden of the gods .. I have been to Bryce and Arches several times and I always enjoy garden of the gods . its kind of like being determined to not like a Monet painting when one has seen a Picasso - neither is "better" or "less" .. both are amazing.

Hartsburg, Missouri
Level Contributor
8 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

Thanks for the link and advice. I think we will stay on at Cheyenne mountain and go to cripple creek, also I will check on what the status of royal gorge is by then. Can shelf road be driven with a Dooley or would we be too wide? Not towing of course!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,599 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

You would be fine on Phantom Canyon Road but I do not know about Shelf Road. This guy says he drives Shelf Road to work each day. If others can't tell you about Shelf, send this guy a private message (just click on his screen name) and he can tell you.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

According to reviews (including mine), people find the Heritage Center better than OK.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33379-d67…

I bet the folks at the Heritage Center could tell you about Shelf Road, too. Their phone number is 877-858-4653.

Mamhead
Level Contributor
18 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

Hi thelongtrailer, we are heading to the Cheyenne Mountain State Park on May 1st. We are coming over from the UK and hiring a 27 footer RV. I think we are also planning to head down to Durango, Mesa Verde, etc. Do you (or the other Trip Advisor folk) have any tips re the best RV sites at the Mountain Park. Also any must sees or must stays on the way to Durango?. We are flying into Denver and then free-on-the wheel for 2 weeks - hurrah. Really looking forward to it. Hope you enjoyed your trip. Tanzey

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

There are actually 2 ways you can go to Durango. If you go by way of Canyon City, you can river raft and see the Royal Gorge. It is also possible to raft through the gorge, very beautiful.

Salida is a lovely spot to dine along the river. We like Boathouse Cantina, but there are several others. Lots of kayakers here.

Pagosa Springs is another lovely town. Be sure to visit the hot springs.

16. Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park for 4 nights, what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 05:16