We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blue Springs...
12 posts
Save Topic
Hiking

My wife and I are traveling to the Colorado Springs area from March 18 to the 22nd. We are interested to know if any of the trails up Pike's Peak are clear right now (or should be clear then). We have gaiters and yaktraks if needed and are comfortable hiking in show. Would this be possible? Also, does anyone have recommendations for which trail (Barr vs. Craigs trail).

Finally, any other suggestions for hiking/snowshoeing would be welcome. We are excited to enjoy the higher daytime temps next week and the winter scenery.

Colorado
Level Contributor
443 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking

there will be snow at least above timberilne, the peak is pretty white currently and might pick up a little more over the weekend. I would see if the forest service website has any info on trail conditions, I've only done Barr up to Barr camp, so not sure what it'd be like higher up, same for Crags.

Other hiking in/around town I'm more familiar with, there's no shortage of good areas, however most will be pretty dry, not much snow hangs around below 9-10k once we get into march (vs mountains, we just don't get as much here, and what we get usually melts fast).

Red Rocks, Garden of Gods are both nice. Garden will be busy, for hiking I prefer Red Rocks. Cheyenne Canyon area has a # of trails, St Mary's falls should be nice. Blodgett Open space is nice, though not a ton of mileage there. In town Ute and Palmer park are great, though they are more desert bluffs than mountain forests. Section 16 is also nice, though back half might be closed.

Cheyenne Mountain and Mueller state park are both close by and offer lots of hiking, Mueller should have some snow in areas.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking

You must experience the Manitou Springs Incline trail if you're avid hikers. seven Bridges in North Cheyenne Canyon is also fantastic.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking

I'm in Crested Butte, not ColoSpgs area, so have no idea of the trail conditions on Pikes Peak presently.

But I would suggest you get well-acclimated to the altitude before attempting to climb Pikes Peak at over 14,000 ft. Volunteering for the marathon, even some seasoned athletes got hit with the altitude.

Crags trail supposedly has less elevation gain, although I've never used it. While living in Manitou, I've climbed the peak numerous times but only via Barr camp trail.

Great suggestions above for other hikes.

Edited: 14 March 2014, 14:30
4. Re: Hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 04:24