We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Up Pikes Peak in Mid-May: How Scary is the drive?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Up Pikes Peak in Mid-May: How Scary is the drive?

Thinking of driving up Pikes Peak around mid-May. Will the road be open, any snow issues then? Also, I actually have a fear of heights, and I would not be driving, but just how scary is the drive? Ironically, it's only when I am driving that I have a fear of heights, riding would be okay, though I wonder pending on how carry the road is. I guess what I really want to know is how dangerous is the road? is driving up only for the fearless, or do people do it all the time. Is it really not that scary, or is it at least a safe drive? Appreciate any info on what to expect. Thanks!

Edited: 28 April 2014, 17:51
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,435 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Up Pikes Peak in Mid-May: How Scary is the drive?

Well, locals can chime in but I don't think that it will be open yet in mid-May. In any case, I have never found it to be the least bit scary. There are far more mountain roads in Colorado that are more of the cliffhanger variety. I would characterize it more as a drive through a mountain forest until you reach the treeline, then more broad, open terrain. I wouldn't worry about it. But do check opening date as I'm almost certain mid-May is too early.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,841 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Up Pikes Peak in Mid-May: How Scary is the drive?

It should be open weather permitting.You can call 719-385-7325 for recorded info.

pikes-peak.com/attractions/…

I don't think it is scary, especially now that it is paved all the way. You can Google or You Tube for videos.

Edited: 28 April 2014, 20:17
Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,841 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Up Pikes Peak in Mid-May: How Scary is the drive?

I wanted to make sure before I posted - this is from the website: "The 19-mile Pikes Peak Highway is paved to the summit and is open year round, weather permitting."

It can snow up there every month of the year. We drove it last August 10th and we had to wait about 30 minutes a mile from the top so that it could be plowed (4" of snow had fallen overnight.) I am more anxious driving to the summit of Mt. Evans than Pikes Peak.

Edited: 28 April 2014, 20:25
colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Up Pikes Peak in Mid-May: How Scary is the drive?

Not Scary!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Up Pikes Peak in Mid-May: How Scary is the drive?

How scarey is a very subjective question. I didn't drive it, so can't answer for myself - we took the cog. All those who answered are used to mountains, keep in mind, and you're from Ohio. We don't have those! That being said, it could be perfectly fine, and you won't know until you try it. If you feel uncomfortable, have a Plan B in mind, and turn around. While at the top, I did hear a girl crying in the bathroom about how she was going to do the drive back down after a terrifying drive up, but again, very subjective. If you're up to the challenge, give it a whirl, and turn around if you feel the need.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,841 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Up Pikes Peak in Mid-May: How Scary is the drive?

Hundreds of thousands of people from "everywhere" drive it every year. I drove up Pikes Peak before I moved to CO when it was a gravel road. I had no previous experience driving on any mountain roads but it didn't "scare" me. Everyone is different. My 12 year old nephew thought it was cool. There is no way I could ever take my 50 year old sister on it!

Good advice, wish2trvl. Have a back up plan if you feel you are unable to drive it. There are lots of places to pull over and turn around if you need to.

7. Re: Driving Up Pikes Peak in Mid-May: How Scary is the drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 06:15