We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing close to Colorado Springs

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wollongong...
13 posts
Save Topic
Skiing close to Colorado Springs

My wife and I will be in Colorado Springs in late March next year. She has a conference to attend so I am looking for activities to fill in my time (without her getting too upset).

Is there any skiing within driving distance for a daytrip out of Colorado Springs? If not, are there any other activities that anyone can suggest?

Thanks

Colorado
Level Contributor
443 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing close to Colorado Springs

The 3 closest are Loveland (I25 to I70), Breckenridge (US 24 to CO9, the back way as I like to call it), and Monarch (US 24 most of the way).

Loveland and Breck are probably the closest, w/ Loveland likely the winner by a few minutes in time. Though, it's right off I70 (actually around/over top I70) so it's probably easiest to get to. If you don't hit much/any traffic, from North side of COS it's likely 1 hour 45minute drive.

It's not to bad a daytrip to Loveland or Breck, done it many times. I'd recommend leaving by 7, adn if you ski until 4 you should be back by 6pm. Can always adjust those times though.

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
32 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing close to Colorado Springs

I would recommend ELDORA Mountain for skiing close to CS. Unfortunatley, there are none closer. We went skiing there in March of 06 and loved it. An easy day trip. It is west of Boulder and they have a website you can look at. It was a nice drive there as you do not need to take I-70 to get there (I-70 is how you get to all of the other ski resorts in northern CO area). We went tubing at a ski resort off I-70 and that highway is a nighmare! Lots and lots of traffic, windy mountain road, narrow, huge cliffs on each side - scary!

Traffic was packed, it was an intense drive.

ELDORA was great but I must warn you - it is know for it's ski school. Great for us as our kids took lessons - but not fun waiting in long lines at the lifts as the ski students get to cut in line to get on the lifts. But this is only on the beginners/family side of the mountain. We loved that they have a family-friendly area!

But if you are more experienced then you wouldn't even be on the beginners slopes like we were and won't need to worry about the crowds from the ski school cutting in line to get on the lifts.

I'd recommend you ski at ELDORA - we did!

Colorado
Level Contributor
443 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing close to Colorado Springs

I have a feeling the previous post was by an Eldora employee.

If they considered 70 a "scary" drive, there's no way they would have made it to Eldora, or any non interstate road in the mountains. At least 70 has guardrails, most mtn roads (including those to Eldora) do not.

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
32 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing close to Colorado Springs

I am not an Eldora employee. In fact, I am a housewife!

I am sharing with you our experience we had on a family ski trip to Eldora including ski lessons.

The day we drove on I-70 to the tubing hill, the traffic was heavy, they drove fast, and it was scary for me.

Our drive to Eldora was pleasant. We went through Boulder. The mountain road was not as long as we had to drive on when we took I-70. Plus it was slower mph, beautiful views, and we were the only car on the road! We did not have to drive fast, we were not surrounded by passing cars, and we could go at a relaxed pace and not have to drive near the edge of the road since we were the only ones on the road. Guardrails are nice - but not if you are going fast and hit one!

Yes, I actually made it to Elordo and actually skiied there with my family.

I do not find the non-interstate roads in the mountains threatening - but a beautiful drive. I do find lots of traffic, FAST moving passing cars, steep curves, and cliffs to be frightening- going at interstate road speeds! Yikes!

I guess we have two different opinions of what a scary road is like/

5. Re: Skiing close to Colorado Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 02:19