We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Colorado Springs

Holland
7 posts
Save Topic
10 days in Colorado Springs

Again we are going to visit my in-laws for Christmas but I need suggestions of where to keep my toddler entertainment in CO? Some indoor play area perhaps? What should I bring him to play?

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Colorado Springs

The Children's Museum in Denver is a fabulous place to take the kids! www.cmdenver.org It would be about 75 to 90 minutes away, depending on traffic. Also good in the Denver area is the Denver Aquarium www.downtownaquariumdenver.com.

In Colorado Springs, check out Mr. Biggs, they have "Little Bigg Town" which is a play area for toddlers: www.mrbiggsffc.com

Sorry, this is all I can think of off the top of my head!

Holland
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Colorado Springs

Dear Laurasue...Many thanks for you reply...alredy feel better..

We will go to Denver for 3 days..then to Aspen for 3 more...Do you know some indoor play are in Aspen where I can take my toddler?

Which hotel will you recoment to stay in Denver?

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Colorado Springs

I'm sorry, I'm not as familiar with the Aspen area so I don't have much to add in that regard.

As for Denver, it depends on the type of atmosphere you want. Downtown is nice for walking to shopping and restaurants, and to really be in the middle of it all. The attractions in Denver that I mentioned are close to downtown. If you stay out in the suburbs you'll have to drive more places, but hotels will be less expensive. If your toddler is old enough to enjoy swimming pools, I would look for a hotel that has an indoor pool for him to play in.

The folks on the Denver board can probably offer better advice on specific hotels in that area. I would suggest posting there.

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Colorado Springs

I just thought of a few more suggestions. The Denver Zoo has a great winter celebration called "Zoo Lights" whee the zoo is lit up, something kids really love. It can be chilly so make sure you pack cold weather clothes. www.denverzoo.org Check out "Events" under the visitor info page.

The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, located in Colorado Springs is also a very fun zoo. They have a similar winter event called "Electric Safari". It could be a fun experience for your little one as they have giraffes that he can actually feed. www.cmzoo.org

Antelope, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in Colorado Springs

I just came from CO Springs for 9 days with my husband and 2 year old.

First... bring lots of bottled water to have on hand. Altitude sickness is real. Don't let yourself or your little one get dehydrated. I live at 3500 feet and on our 6th day there we tried to go to Pike's Peak but I got altitude sickeness and we had to turn around.

Second...I bought the Entertainment book before going and saved over 65.00.

I used the My Gym coupon from their online selections after purchasing the book as you get more printable online. Anyway if you don't want to buy the coupon book it's 15 dollars per session. Totally worth it to me as we don't have one where I live. She enjoyed it to the fullest and the owner/manager was wonderful with the kids. It is a great indoor activity for them in the colder weather. I would definitely call them and set up the appointment to be polite and let him know you are coming from out of town so as to NOT have to pay the yearly 75 dollar fee. They have 3-4 different session for toddlers through out the week.

I took her to the Bear Creek Nature Center. It is in the south side of town headed past Old Colorado…make sure you get a map…free from a hotel lobby. The center is free and there is some drawers of rocks, feathers, bones, pelts and bug displays and other hands on activities. It's self guided so let them touch and learn and take your time. A great Live Bee Hive inside. Outside there is a small handicapped path...it may or may not be walkable because of snow...it was still in the 70s when we were there.

We also went to Focus on The Family's Odyssey Cafe which has an indoor play area, imagination rooms, children’s theater that are all free access. It was nice and quiet during the week for lunch. That is located on the North side of town past Briargate Shopping center…same road I think…check your map. We also went to the Cheyenne Zoo that has a petting zoo, but the best part to us was how close you were able to get to the Primates and Giraffes. You can actually feed the giraffes! It is mostly outside so dress warm and bring a stroller because you walk uphill most of the time and zigzagging your way up around 1000 feet to the top of the zoo... well toddlers give out quickly. The Zoo coupon is also in the Entertainment book...by one admission get the second free. And the little one was under three so she was free also.

On the way to Pike's Peak is The North Pole. We didn't go as the cost is 16 a person including little ones. There's a coupon in there for that also. But I hear it is like an amusement park where Santa lives.

The Chapel Hills Mall is under renovation outside and inside, but they have cute little area that is themed like Pike's Peak for them to play on. It is also a great free indoor activity to let them run.

I hope these ideas help your stay to be as much fun as our was.

6. Re: 10 days in Colorado Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 15:17