We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather at Thanksgiving

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
Level Contributor
73 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Weather at Thanksgiving

I've seen the news about the latest snow storms. Is this common in CS during November? We have had a Thanksgiving trip planned for several months but I am wondering if we should consider going at another time of the year.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather at Thanksgiving

The thing about the weather in Colorado is that is very variable. I'm sure you did see the news about the big storm last week... what you didn't see on the news was the huge melt that has followed! Last weekend, the temps were in the 50-60s, over 70 in Denver!

Yes, you certainly could get a snowstorm, or you could get sunny, warm weather. Bring clothing for both contingencies and you'll be fine. Hopefully you'll experience the better outcome. If not, then just enjoy the beauty. We live, work, go to school, travel and go about our business in almost all types of weather, even snow. July and August are about the only months of the year when snow isn't a possibility in the cities along the Front Range. Since there's no way to predict the weather on any given day in the future (even tomorrow's forecast is a crapshoot around here!), I'd recommend you keep your travel plans - didn't you plan a November trip in order to see snow?

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather at Thanksgiving

Mtnfan -- If you're still planning to go from CS down to Albuquerque, and if the weather cooperates, try to take US 285 heading south instead of I-25. It is far more scenic not only in Colorado but also when you cross into NM, taking you by Taos and through Santa Fe. Also gives you a chance to detour only slightly and see Great Sand Dunes N.P.

Weather will be key in your day-to-day planning, though. Colorado does a fantastic job of clearing roads, and the sun is powerful enough to melt the snow quickly. But if a storm is forecast for the day you are to drive somewhere, take the lowest altitude pass you can find.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
73 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather at Thanksgiving

Thanks for the info. Shaken Bake & cbchrc! When I began planning this trip several months ago, I spoke with someone at the convention & visitors bureau in CS and was told that snow would be rare at that time of year and that February and March was when snow really accumulated in the Springs. We are traveling from Louisiana and I love to see the snow but we have never driven in areas with any accumulation of snow. It's great to know that the roads are cleared pretty quickly. I began making back up plans for another destination, but it's not the same . My husband and I have been wanting to visit Colorado for a while now. I just hope the weather cooperates!

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather at Thanksgiving

A last, hopefully reassuring, thought re weather. We lived outside of Denver for six years at an elevation of 8500 feet. We were on the eastern slope of what is called the Front Range. While the ski areas (generally 10,000 and above) had snow from November through May, or later, the ground around us was bare throughout much of the winter. We might get a pretty snowfall of 6-8 inches one night, but the next day with the sun it would quickly be gone except for small patches. The snowiest months for us along the Front Range were actually in April and May, not in the fall or winter.

If you're along the Eastern slope of the Rockies (as in CS or along 1-25) at this time of year you should be in good shape (except for a big storm that might sweep through one day). Once you get into the mountains, crossing passes such as Wolf Creek, your odds of hitting major snow are much higher. Even there, though, the snow melts too. For example, thus far this fall the Wolf Creek ski area has received 65 inches of snow, but they currently only have 18 inches on their slopes, the rest has disappeared.

Whatever the weather, be prepared to see some gorgeous scenery!

Rocky Mountains
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather at Thanksgiving

mtsfan: you should know that it is very rare to have to wear heavy outerwear here in CS. Our high, dry altitude makes the sun feel very warm, which is why melting is so fast when we do have snow. I know how hard it is to pack for a new destination when you are not familiar with the climate. If our weather is "typical" you can get by with just a sweatshirt or denim jacket type for warmth - you won't need much. I'd suggest layers that you can peel off as the day gets warmer. As mentioned above, if we do have a "big" snow day, you can just hunker down and wait it out - it will take all of 24 hours, usually. Have fun - I'm betting you'll love it here.

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather at Thanksgiving

mtnfan, I think you will be fine with weather on your trip. As previous reports have said, weather changes quickly here and what can start out as a snow packed road early in the morning can be completely melted by noon. My parents, both in their 70's, will be driving from Dallas to Glenwood Springs for Thanksgiving. I can assure you that I would not encourage them do this if I did not consider it safe. Your drive will not require you to go over any major passes. They will have 2 to get over. They made the trip here last February and my advice to them then was to pay attention to the weather, if it makes a bad turn stop for the night and don't plan on getting back on the road until at least 10. By then, road crews, traffic and normal warming will make it a much easier drive. I have always been amazed at how quickly the roads can become completely dry in this state. A little sun combined with the dry air, and it completely evaporates.

colorado springs
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather at Thanksgiving

Hey mtnfan if you're worried about coming to colorado springs because of snow I wouldn't cancel any plans over it! Yes Colorado can plant a snow storm on you when least expect it, but the springs along with the front range usually can see their snow coming a few days in advance and even when it does come in November it's usually nothing more than some good moisture. (the western slope and mountain resorts hog it all) The springs can get some good snow in the spring late winter after january and most people here are always hoping for a white christmas and we get a dusting four days before hand and its melted and muddy christmas :( Nonetheless the mountains which we sit under look beautiful this time of year with the snow capped peaks. Just fyi but the extended forcast thru tuesday 11/22 calls for 60 deg's high low 30's at night. Always bring a jacket and warm clothes but I can recall many many years playing pickup games of football in the street thanksgiving day!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
73 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather at Thanksgiving

Hey, Thanks Randomiza! We'll be leaving in a couple of hours. I appreciate the info. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

9. Re: Weather at Thanksgiving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 19:19