We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First family ski vacation

Which Copper Mountain hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
First family ski vacation

Help! My husband and I would like to take our three small children skiing (7,5,and 3 1/2). We are looking for a nice family friendly resort that caters to new skiiers. My Mom will be along for the ride to babysit our youngest, so we also want a town where there are things to do besides skiing! We would like 3 or 4 star accommodations that don't break the bank, and that are within walking distance of ski areas. We're looking at Steamboat, Keystone, Copper Mtn. - would love to go to Snowmass, but afraid it might be too expensive! Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Alabama
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First family ski vacation

Hi! I'm from Mobile and we are going skiing over Mardi Gras. Have you ever heard of Solvista Basin at Granby Ranch? It is about an hour drive from Denver and my husband and I took our then 7 and 8 year old to Solvista and absolutely loved it!!!! They had never skied before and this place is perfect for families. It is small and only has around 35 runs and a couple of lifts, but we skied 5 straight days and had a blast. All the runs end at one central base so nobody loses each other. No lift lines, no parking fees, so affordable, lift operators knew are names, kids loved ski school and the best part is we didn't break the bank going there and stayed at a ski in/ski out condo. I could go on and on. Perfect for families and new skiers. Your Mom on the other hand would be bored stiff. There is no spa or shopping at the resort. However, Winter Park is a quick 20 minute drive. Check it out. We rented vrbo at Kicking Horse condos.

We went to Big Sky, Montana two years ago and were thinking of Steamboat or Copper this year-just for something different, but the ease and convenience and price of solvista just can't be beat. We are staying 6 nights slopeside for less than $800 in a very nice condo. It's worth looking into. Good luck

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First family ski vacation

Mightymoms' comments and suggestions are great but the drive to Winter Park is on Hwy 40 over Berthoud Pass which can be a slow and nerve-wracking drive if the roads are not clear. Sol Vista is another 15 miles. If you are not accustomed to winter driving in the mountains and doing so makes you nervous, you might want to consider one of the ski areas closer to I-70. If you decide on something in Summit County (such as Copper or Keystone), your mother could take the free shuttle with your youngest to the other towns in Summit County for shopping or other things to do.

3. Re: First family ski vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 20:20