We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winter drive from Eagle Vail arpt to Crested Butte

Which Crested Butte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marblehead
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
winter drive from Eagle Vail arpt to Crested Butte

I read a previous posting about Aspen to CB but what about Eagle to CB? Do you drive around the pass?

Looking on the map I'm wondering do you drive

70 to 82 then 133 to 135?

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: winter drive from Eagle Vail arpt to Crested Butte

You don't say when you plan to drive this route, which is one way to get to Crested Butte from Eagle. Crested Butte is connected to 133 via Kebler Pass. The road is gravel and isn't maintained in the winter so it won't be open until the snow melts off. It is a beautiful drive in the fall - lots of great color in the aspen. The other way is to go to Gunnison on US Hwy 50 and then north to Crested Butte.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: winter drive from Eagle Vail arpt to Crested Butte

Oops - I just read the title - "winter drive." The only way in the winter is via Gunnison.

Marblehead
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: winter drive from Eagle Vail arpt to Crested Butte

Yes sorry this weekend we're flying into Eagle. So do you travel I70 to route 91 to route 24 to 50?

or would you go west on I 70 to 6 to 50 into Gunnison? Is it really 4 hrs? Thanks so much

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: winter drive from Eagle Vail arpt to Crested Butte

I would suggest taking I-70 east to US Hwy 24 going south towards Leadville & Salida. Then go west on US Hwy 50 to Gunnison. Then take Hwy 135 north to Crested Butte. It will take you about 4 hrs. depending on weather. Enjoy your trip.

5. Re: winter drive from Eagle Vail arpt to Crested Butte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 07:20