We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking or Biking to Aspen from Crested Butte

Houston, Texas
7 posts
Save Topic
Hiking or Biking to Aspen from Crested Butte

My husband and I will be in Crested Butte for a week in August for a family reunion. Because our anniversary falls during that week, we thought it could be fun to get away for a night and go to Aspen. We want to bike or hike to Aspen for a night from Crested Butte. Any suggestions re: hiking or biking to get there and get back?

I am a big chicken, so I am thinking hiking sounds better than mountain biking over that intense mountain. Do people ever hike over to Aspen and then just take an inexpensive shuttle back to Crested Butte? Any suggestions? Thanks!! :)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,588 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking or Biking to Aspen from Crested Butte

West Maroon Pass (Crested Butte to Aspen) - Moderate - 24 miles RT

Access: Drive from Crested Butte to Schofield Pass and into Schofield Park (about 13 miles). The trail (#1970) begins at approx 10,400 feet. Once on the Aspen side a free shuttle can drive you to Aspen from Maroon Lake.

The trip from Crested Butte to Aspen is one of the more popular hikes in our area. The route is well sign marked. Plan about 3 hours to the Pass and another 2 to the lake for those in good shape. The total elevation gain is 1,450 feet. The hike to the pass and back is a splendid hike with fewer logistics than the through hike.

gunnisoncrestedbutte.com/news-article/aspen-…

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,850 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking or Biking to Aspen from Crested Butte

Hope you are in good shape, quite a high altitude hike. I would check with the locals about snow on the trail since Crested Butte had record snow this winter. On another forum hikers are saying part of the way it is still solid snow.

Houston, Texas
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking or Biking to Aspen from Crested Butte

Have you biked it and hiked it? What would you recommend for someone in decent shape, but very beginner mountain biker?

Colorado
Level Contributor
11,684 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking or Biking to Aspen from Crested Butte

This is second-hand info... our friends are Olympic athletes and live at 8200'. They did the hike a few years ago and I seem to recall it really kicked their butts. I will try to find out more info for you.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking or Biking to Aspen from Crested Butte

I love this hike and do it almost every summer. It's going to be easier for you in fact because coming from the Crested Butte side their trailhead starts at higher elevation than when I come over from the Aspen side so less uphill hiking.

It's not a technical hike at all, but does go to fairly high altitude. Start very early to avoid risk of being exposed during afternoon thundershowers that happen almost every day, bring food, plenty of water, bandaids, etc.

Most hikers do the West Maroon Pass, and some do East Maroon. Neither can be mountain biked as they are wilderness area. Mountain bikers can ride Pearl Pass or Scofield Pass instead.

It was a big snow year for this area and I have not heard of any of my friends who have done this year, nor anyone has jeeped over Pearl yet. I would imagine there is a ton of snow up there now, but you might be ok by August.

As for whether or not you should mountain bike it, since you say you are in decent shape but beginner to mountain biking I would say absolutely not. This is much higher altitude then Houston's sea level and the riding is far more technical here than trails in your area. I think the risk of having a poor trip is too high. You can always hike more slowly, you can't ride more slowly or find an easier trail.

Houston, Texas
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking or Biking to Aspen from Crested Butte

Thanks! :)

7. Re: Hiking or Biking to Aspen from Crested Butte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 August 2012, 16:05
Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
129 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking or Biking to Aspen from Crested Butte

Just curious if you ended up doing the hike from CB to Aspen and what was your experience? Im coming from New Orleans and wondering how your endurance was?

9. Re: Hiking or Biking to Aspen from Crested Butte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Crested Butte