We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crested Butte Mountain Biking in early September...

Which Crested Butte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
330 reviews
Save Topic
Crested Butte Mountain Biking in early September...

Considering a trip here in early September. Few questions. What is the weather like, i.e. temperature, chance of precipitation...to plan clothing. Also, the trip would be for hiking/mountain biking and I detest leaving my vehicle at trailheads. Is there an option for lodging so that we could take advantage of bike-in/bike-out from the house rather that driving to the trailhead? We are cyclists who are in the beginner to intermediate stages of skill. Recommendations for trails would also be appreciated. Also, one of us is gluten-free - any dining options in CB to support this restriction? Thanks in advance, friends!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,640 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crested Butte Mountain Biking in early September...

There's plenty of good mountain biking right out of town or, if you're staying in Mt. CB, right out of your condo. Not sure about the visceral reaction to leaving a car at a trailhead. Most have large, well-marked parking areas but you can easily bike from Mt. CB to the Gothic townsite, leave your bike at any number of trailheads leading into the Maroon Bells Wilderness and then hike out from there.

The weather will be warm during the day, cool at night; however, like summer in general, you should be prepared for anything that mother nature might throw at you in the high country (freezing rain, hail, snow...).

Recommending exact trails for mtn biking that meet your skill level will be tricky. Your best bet will be to stop into the Alpineer and ask for suggestions. There's a free map and they will be better able to assess your technical skills. That said, if you don't mind walking over "scary" stuff, you'll really have your choice of trails. For hiking, check out Judd Falls/Copper lake. There's good tree cover for most of the hike in case the weather turns sour and the views are spectacular.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56898462@N00/7662097646/in/photolist-cF5fFQ-LEue7-eG5XSZ-cBfb6Q-8t65NK-379eQ2-4BNxdi-dZt4rd-dZsYFo-dZsZVd-dZsSnd-dZn864-dZnk12-dZnezV-cCZn8j-7Ca1p8-24zJfQ-24zHfC-24vi6K-6vcAC8-8z7ryS-89PwZM-24vgve-a6KLbs-5i78zM-8KGA1h-aavexy-cUTQ7s-7fusRj-7fqBgZ-7fqCBP-7fqEfR-7fut8w-7fux7S-7fuwgJ-7fqCe2-7fusy7-6L3sH6-7aNPhr-7aNPYF-acwtQ-2EGeAr-6p9YEt-8Fbb5v-feDAgp-f3uNUF-8Fecn5-8Fecuw-eUHxJY-2ELJB3-2EGqZX

United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crested Butte Mountain Biking in early September...

Smushi:

Thanks! Too many vehicle break-ins for comfort initiated my visceral reaction, but if trailheads are considered safe, I'll chance it. Thanks for the information!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,640 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crested Butte Mountain Biking in early September...

Fe,

I guess I take it for granted that Crested Butte is a friendly and remote mountain community. Most people I know don't bother to lock their car (or home!) let alone worry about a break in. I'm sure it happens from time to time but to say it happens rarely would be an understatement. In Gunnison, most people leave the windows down when they go on a ride or a hike so they don't return to a smoking hot car. I went hiking in the East River valley north of Gothic twice this week and only rolled up the windows out of fear of passing showers.

As far as gluten-free dining, there are plenty of great options. Just off the top of my head, I'd suggest Teocali Tamale since most Mexican food is gluten-free. Sherpa Cafe (Nepali/Indian,) Lobar (sushi), Ryce (Asian-Thai), Django's (in Mt. CB) and even the Sunflower Deli have good gluten-free options.

United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crested Butte Mountain Biking in early September...

Smushi,

Again, thanks a lot. If we elect Mt. Crested Butte, are there any particular condos/accommodations that might have a hot tub and fire pits or fireplace in the room? Seems like there is a wide selection up there.

5. Re: Crested Butte Mountain Biking in early September...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 06:19