We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thanksgiving weather

Which Crested Butte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
Save Topic
thanksgiving weather

Hi, my family and I are going to cb for thanksgiving....what should we pack???

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thanksgiving weather

What are you planning to do? Ski? Snowshoe? Other outdoor recreation?

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: thanksgiving weather

Ski, sled...mostlynoutside wth my kids...were from louisiana so wanting to know if im gonna freeze! Lol

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thanksgiving weather

It will be winter at the end of November. The resort will be open and there will be snow on some of the runs since it's usually cold enough to make snow even if mother nature isn't cooperating, especially at night. If you don't have insulated snow pants, I would suggest picking some up. For kids (and adults) you can find them online at Walmart and other places pretty cheap. Otherwise, make sure to dress in layers. If it's sunny during the day you might be fine in just a shell and a t-shirt. For early mornings, nighttime and other times when you're not moving, a fleece or some other kind of mid-layer, along with a shell and base layer, should be plenty warm. You'll also need gloves, hats and boots if you don't already have them. If cold climates aren't a regular vacation destination for you, one of the cheapest options for gloves are Kinco gloves. You can pick them up at just about any hardware store for around $15/pair. I wear the adult version of the ones linked below 100+ days each year -including the coldest winter mornings- and they last about 2 seasons. Coating them in snow-seal even makes the leather waterproof.

http://www.kinco.com/product/1927kwy/

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thanksgiving weather

http://www.kinco.com/product/1927kw/

These are the ones I usually buy. I also use them in the summer for yard work and construction which is probably what wears them out. Regardless, it's easy enough to just go out and pick up another pair.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thanksgiving weather

Kinco's! Doh! Great minds think alike.

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: thanksgiving weather

Thanks for the info....do you think we will need coats and will they have snow my kids can play in??? Sorry for all the stupid questions!

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thanksgiving weather

Uninsulated waterproof coats that can be worn over a fleece/wool mid-layer are often called shells. One popular alternative with visitors from warmer climates seems to be "starter" jackets. As far as snow, only Mother Nature can tell for sure where the snow level will be in the mountains but there will definitely be snow at the resort since opening day is the week before Thanksgiving.

Here are some sites for more ideas:

http://www.visitcrestedbutte.com/

http://www.skicb.com/

Crested Butte...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: thanksgiving weather

Never a dumb question!!!

In will definitely be winter-like conditions. Coats, snow pants, hats, gloves will be necessary. Yes, you could get away with a waterproof jacket and layers underneath, but we'd hate for it to be chillier than normal and for your family to be cold the whole time. I would recommend checking the weather starting the week before you come. We have current weather conditions on our website, www.skicb.com. For a weather forecast, we really like to follow www.opensnow.com. We have found that site to be the most accurate when it comes to predicting snowfall and weather conditions. I hope that helps, please don't hesitate to contact us at the resort with further questions, either on our Facebook page www.facebook.com/skicrestedbutte or email at info@cbmr.com

Thanks and we look forward to having you in CB!

Erica

PR & Communications Manager

Crested Butte Mountain Resort

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: thanksgiving weather

First dusting of snow on the mountains surrounding CB today -very exciting!

10. Re: thanksgiving weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 05:20