We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June trip-hotel info

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
June trip-hotel info

Thanks for the info updates. Should we stay in Wheatridge or near downtown Denver? The last nite we need to be near the airport so we can return our rental car and use the hotel shuttle back to the airport for very early flight out. Any hotel suggestions? (inexpensive). Would prefer not to keep changing hotels if possible but also didn't want to spend all our time driving across town to the attractions.

Sounds like we should skip the arsenol and spend the time at RMNP (we don't enjoy hiking)

Also Plan to eat at Casa Bonita--heard it was good.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
631 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June trip-hotel info

I can't help ya with hotels, sorry!

I just had to check with you on the Casa Bonita thing....you heard it was good?! It's a well known thing here in Denver that Casa Bonita is known for having the absolute WORST food in the world. It's like cafeteria style with weird liquid cheese covering everything, it's absolutely horrible and WAY overpriced(I think it's up to $13/person now). The restaurant itself is kinda cool because they have cliff divers and mariachi bands ect., but it's pretty cheesy. Just wanted to make sure you weren't looking for a 5 star dining experience!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June trip-hotel info

Save your stomach and money and do not eat at casa bonita! It has the WORST food and overpriced. It really is like eating tv dinners. The only thing safe is the sopapillas. So unless you have kids I would skip it.

For a hotel that is close to the airport, I would check out hotels in Aurora.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June trip-hotel info

Wheatridge isn't really known for hotels. You can find a few off of Interstate 70 but for a vacation stay, I'd think you'd want to select a hotel that was in a location that had interesting things to see by walking around and good restaurants nearby to choose from, so downtown or Cherry Creek would be much better than Wheatridge. The leaset expensive is probably going to be the Holiday Inn downtown.

If you don't enjoy hiking, you can still enjoy the drive up to Estes Park and you can drive through RMNP and stop in the turn-outs to look at the stunning scenery.

I have to go along with other comments - Casa Bonita serves terrible food and it's expensive . Only go if you have young kids and don't care about what you are eating.

There are lots of hotels near DIA that offer shuttles. Ones on Tower Road would be closest if you have an early flight. Try the Red Roof Inn

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,950 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June trip-hotel info

Are you spending most of your time in Denver proper, or out in the mountains and surrounding areas? That would determine where you should stay.

If you want to visit Rocky Mtn Nat Park, then stay in Estes Park. If you are going into the mountains, I would suggest Summit County. If you want to visit Colorado Springs, it is about 1+ hours from Denver and there are tons of chain motels.

DIA has many chain hotels/motels. I would google to find one that has the best deal.

DO NOT EAT AT CASA BONITA!! The food is so bad!

There are many other places to get great Mexican food, both chains and non chains. Look here in Trip Advisor for places to eat. I always go to small independant restaurants to get the best food.

Have a fun trip.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: June trip-hotel info

Given the choice between Wheatridge and Downtown- , then I would also choose the downtown area.

The Hampton Inn and Suites Denver Downtown on Sherman might be worth a look. There are a lot of choices in the downtown area.

As far as food, if you want Mexican food near the downtown area, I saw that someone mentioned Benny's Restaurant in a previous post( on 7th Ave)- good place, very popular with the locals.

Milagro Taco Bar on 17th and Vine is also good

Las Margaritas is popular as well- there is a location in the Belmar Shopping Center in Lakewood and also on 17th Ave/near downing( Uptown).

Hope this helps.

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June trip-hotel info

I'll echo the above posters - you're from Texas so avoid Casa Bonita at all costs. It's a nostalgic thing for some of us locals (Grew up going there for birthday parties) but qualifies as a frozen mexican dinner at best. Consider the Rio Grande in downtown (on Blake) for the closest to Tex-Mex you'll find in CO.

Also, Wheatridge not the best for a vacation unless you're looking for a one night stay over. Even the La Quinta near downtown is a better bet because you're closer to the action.

Colorado
Level Contributor
321 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June trip-hotel info

Thumbs down on Casa Bonita. I guess it would be fun for kids. But the food leaves much to be desired.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June trip-hotel info

Someone was playing a joke on you by saying Casa Bonita was good, lol! Of course, my children LOVE it there- cliff divers and skee-ball with your school cafeteria food ;)

Winston, GA
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: June trip-hotel info

I got a great deal on this hotel, about 30 min. from downtown denver and 40 from airport I got 2 nights for $180. I researched it and it got great reviews, has pool, like a Holiday Inn Express but Better!

Hotel Denver Tech Center

7801 E Orchard Rd

ENGLEWOOD CO US 80111

Also I am renting a cabin in Divide, BE SURE TOO VISIT

Vrbo.com

They have cabin rentals, etc, Crpple Creek is a good alternative to Colorado Springs, I think it is more congested and much more traffic in Colorado Springs than Divide & Cripple Creek....but that is just from what I have heard. The Cheyenne mountain Zoo and a nice mine in Cripple Creek is near Divide. Divide is 35 min. to Colorado Springs.

**ALSO...don't make the mistake I made, Do not stay TOO LONG in one place, you may want to reserve a night near Cortez or Durango if you visit MESA VERDE, IT IS 6 + hours from Colorodo Springs areas

Denver
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: June trip-hotel info

The Holiday Inn in the tech center is in a suburban office strip. If you want to do anything besides eat at McD's, you'll be driving up and down the freeway.

Nothing particularly *wrong* with the hotel, but it really is a very boring location.