We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I spend the night in denver? Where?

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Should I spend the night in denver? Where?

After my conference in Denver, I am visiting a friend who stays 7 miles south of Walsenburg. To get to his place, I need to exit at mile marker 42 on the I-25 and then 7 miles of dirt road. I was planning to spend a night or two over at his place.

I am leavingthe US from Denver at 8am in the morning. Should I leave my friend's place the day before and spend the last night in denver to catch my morning flight, or is it possible to leave my friend's cabin in the middle of the night and drive straight to the airport?

If its a better idea to spend the last night in Denver, which is a good hotel to stay on the basis of convienence (easy to find, easy to get to airport...etc)?

Thanks

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I spend the night in denver? Where?

I guess that all depends on how early you can get up without being too tired. It's 2.5-3 hrs. from Walsenburg to Denver,so for an 8am flight,you'd need to leave sometime between 3:30am and5am,depending on how soon you want to get to the airport. Colorado Springs has construction going on and traffic can be bad early in the morning around 6ish.There's also the commuters coming into Denver you'd have to deal with.

I think it would be better to just stay near the airport the night before. There are a lot of hotels on Tower Rd in Aurora,right near the Airport. I think it would just make things easier on you. hope this helps!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,780 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I spend the night in denver? Where?

I would spend the night in Denver and would be at the airport at least 2 hours before to get through security. There are many hotels/motels near the airport that have shuttles to DIA. Check here on TA for reviews.

The drive from Walsenburg to DIA is about 3 hours. Then you have to turn in rental car and get to airport, probably another hour so that means leaving his house about 2am, getting up at 1am!

Have fun.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I spend the night in denver? Where?

Agree with above in spending that last night in Denver. You could always stay near DIA but if you wanted to do something the night before, then staying in Cherry Creek might work for you

You could stay at The Hampton Inn and Suites- Cherry Creek- which is right across from Colorado Blvd. From there it would be about 30 minutes to DIA.

Another place in that area is The Staybridge Suites- Cherry Creek- also places you on Colorado Blvd quickly and it's easy to get to the airport.

While in the Cherry Creek area, you could head to Cherry Creek North to grab a bite to eat. Go to www.cherrycreeknorth.com

Acton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,585 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I spend the night in denver? Where?

I agree with the pp, stay in Denver for the night, you will be much closer, and may be more relaxed knowing you don't have a long drive and flight ahead.

5. Re: Should I spend the night in denver? Where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 18:17