We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 nights in Colorado

new jersey
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
10 nights in Colorado

Hi.. are are thinking of a 10 night trip to Colorado in the middle of August..

We would fly into Denver.....are 2 nights more than enough there..

We want to se RMNP..for at least three nights....see Colorado Springs and maybe Durango..we are open to suggestions for length of stay... What are the driving distances/hours if we try to see all of this?

Can we throw in a visit to Fort Collins on the route? I have family there..it would be a nice stop..not absolutely necessary...they may be on vacation that week ..here in Jersey!

We are traveling with our 16 yr old son...we loved Yellowstone and Yosemite..more into photography and some kayaking or raft trips...not big on the hiking aspect....

All suggestions are warmly appreciated. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Durango
Durango
Colorado
Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
667 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 nights in Colorado

I think 2 nights in Denver is plenty. As for seeing Ft. Collins. It's not too far out of the way actually. It is an hour north of Denver. My suggestion would be to drive to Ft. Collins in the morning, visit with family and then either take I-25 or 287(whichever is closer to you in Ft. Collins) to Hwy 34, which will take you straight into Estes. That is about a 40-60 min. drive, depending on traffic. Estes is much less crowded if you are not there on a weekend, so if you can stay during the week that's ideal.

From Estes, you can drive through the Park and come out on the Grand Lake side,which is a nice place to stop for lunch. Then you can head out to I-70 to Hwy 24 and make your way towards Durango. The whole drive is close to 7 hours, but it is beautiful and well worth it. Salida is a good place to stop and stay the night if you don't want to do it all in one day. It's about 3.5 hours to Salida and then 3.5 hours from Salida to Durango.

Once you are in Durango, you can visit a lot of the other towns nearby. Silverton is a good place to visit and the drive there is just beautiful and definately good for pictures. That is about an hour drive. Ouray is just a bit further north and is also a fun place to visit.

After Durango, you can take Hwy 50 all the way to Canon City(and stop and see the Royal Gorge on your way, it's awesome). That is about a 4.5 hour drive. You either stop in Canon City or keep going to Colorado Springs, which is just another 45 mins. Just east of Canon City, Hwy 50 hooks up with Hwy 115, which will lead you right into Colo Springs.

Hope this helped a little!

Mentioned in this post
Durango
Durango
Colorado
Salida
Salida
Colorado
Silverton
Silverton
Colorado
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Canon City
Canon City
Colorado
new jersey
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 nights in Colorado

Thank you..it really helps to know the drive times...too often we plan and later realize that the trip took 6 nto 4 or it took 2 not 4 hours to get there!

Regards, JBJC

3. Re: 10 nights in Colorado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 04:18