We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scenic drives near Denver

Advance, NC
14 posts
Save Topic
scenic drives near Denver

Our family will be in Denver for two days and we would like to explore the city one day and drive outside the city for some natural sightseeing the next. Can anyone suggest scenic drives within an our of the city or between Denver and Cheyenne?

LoDo
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: scenic drives near Denver

It's a little more than an hour from downtown Denver... but well worth it. Trail Ridge Road in the Rocky Mountain National Park is incredible. I was just up there with some out of towners yesterday and they were awestruck by the scenery and wildlife.

Closer options could be Rt. 40 across Berthoud Pass to Winter Park or even closer would be Lookout Mountain Road.

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scenic drives near Denver

Absolutely RMNP! You will not be disappointed in visiting Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. You will find lots of post for Estes Park with advice on the must see & do.

Advance, NC
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: scenic drives near Denver

Mcrist,

How much time should we allow to drive from Denver, drive the trail Ridge Road (allowing for stops) and back to Denver? What is the least amount of time to allow?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,808 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scenic drives near Denver

I would allow an entire day. The miles you will drive will be a few hours, but the places you will be visiting require more than a drive through! Visit Bear Lake, drive to the top of Trail Ridge Road, see Alberta Falls and maybe have a nice meal in Estes Park!

LoDo
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: scenic drives near Denver

I think you should plan at least 6-8 hours. There are some great places to stop, nature centers, scenic vistas and great places to park and hike. You also need to plan for a little traffic and construction as well... I know last Sunday near the summit it became a little congested. It you travel to RMNP on the weekdays, it should not be as bad. Although many people like to head up there when the weather is hot on the front range.

hudson valley,ny
Level Contributor
279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scenic drives near Denver

Just got back from colorado.,.. Trail Ridge road was great.. But do beware of the construction which has up to an hour delay in two different locations.. We were lucky and only waited 15 minutes. It was early in the day, before noon....I was more impressed by the drive up to Mt. Evans, Which is in Idaho Springs... It was by far the most awesome drive we did while out there.. We even thought it was more senic than the Million Dollar Highway!!!!!.

Enjoy Your Trip!!!!!

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
935 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scenic drives near Denver

Take the Peak to Peak on the way to RMNP:

byways.org/explore/byways/2114/stories/56078

racketguy55
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: scenic drives near Denver

take a few hours, take a ride west on I 70 over loveland pass to lake Dillon back thru Eisenhower tunnel, if you have time get off after Idaho Spring and take 6th ave back thru clear creek canyon back to Denver. Approx 3 hour drive if you don't stop but you will stop to take pictures and enjoy the sceanery,

9. Re: scenic drives near Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 16:19