We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

toll road vs. I-25

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Central Montana
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
toll road vs. I-25

I noticed some posts from a couple of years ago about construction on I-25 making going on the toll road much faster. I'm not only interested in speed one can go but also if the toll road is generally much less stressful to those not used to city traffic. In general, is there still quite a bit of construction on I-25 and is driving on the toll road less stressful?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: toll road vs. I-25

Whether driving the toll road (E470) is better completely depends on where you're going!! The highway makes a wide loop around most of the city, at least 10 or miles more from the city center, so it's not a road you'd use getting to and from downtown Denver. If you're traveling from the airport south to Colorado Springs, or north towards Fort Collins, for instance, it is a good alternative to fighting traffic through the city. The construction on I-25 has been completed, although it can be very congested in both directions at rush hour, like any major thoroughfare in any city. Other than driving to and from the airport to points outside Denver, it isn't a direct route anywhere else.

Denver
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: toll road vs. I-25

It's called E470 because it's 470 miles East of anything.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: toll road vs. I-25

LOL @ robert!

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: toll road vs. I-25

You can find pricing information at the website: http://www.e-470.com/

Monte Vista...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: toll road vs. I-25

If you drive on E470, remember to have lots of change. The toll stations are not manned and they do not take bills or credit cards, just coins. Used to be that if you did not have the change, you had to drive through and get a ticket in the mail, possibly multiple tickets or even multiple court appearances, since the highway goes through multiple counties. However, it appears that they now have a form you can take and so long as you pay within 48 hours, no ticket. But they only allow you to do this a few times per year.

The tolls are every few miles, but even so, it can be a lot faster from DIA to south of Denver, or DIA to north of Denver. But you would not use E470 from airport to Denver. If driving from north and trying to drive around Denver, it probably is faster (especially if driving through at rush hour), at cost of ~$10.00.

Note that C470 (which goes between I-25 south of Denver and I-70 west of Denver) is not a toll road.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: toll road vs. I-25

What colorob said is not entirely true. Some toll booths are not manned, but the main ones along E-470 are, and you can pay with a credit card or bills or coins. You should look at the website where you can calculate how much your drive would be, and see what booths are manned and unmanned.

I just looked on the website and it's $5.75 one-way from Pena->I-25 South. There will be 3 (manned) toll plazas to stop at along the way. Typically, only if you exit at a non-major road interchange are there unmanned booths to pay at.

Take a look at the website for more info.

7. Re: toll road vs. I-25

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 07:18