We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5:00 traffic?

georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
5:00 traffic?

Anyone who is local or familiar to the area, I would really appreciate your help!

How long would it take to get from the Anschutz medical campus at university of Colorado to the airport around 5 pm (on a Friday)? I have an interview at the school and would like to know the approximate time frame so I could plan accordingly.

How is the traffic in general in Denver? I have been there, but it was about 7 years ago, when I wasn't even old enough to have a license; I am from Atlanta, so I am ok with big city driving, but back up traffic jams make me cringe.

I would really appreciate any information!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,846 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5:00 traffic?

Are you renting a car, or taking public tranportation or a cab???

It is about 11 miles from the Med Center to the airport. 20 minutes with no traffic, probably 45 minutes with traffic. 5pm on Friday is busy!!!

If you are renting a car, then allow at least 1/2 hour to drive, 1 hour to return car and check in, plus 1/2-1 hour to get through Security. Friday nights all the business people are heading home!!

We try to plan our trips through Denver for before 3:30pm or after 6:30pm.

Good luck!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5:00 traffic?

I work on the same hospital campus and even on a Friday, you can make it to the airport terminal in 30 minutes or less. The good thing is that you're not on the interstates (I-225 and I-70) very far - about 3-4 miles until you reach the airport exit (Pena Boulevard). Unless there's a major accident, the traffic will move along in that direction. Once you're on Pena, the traffic moves at the speed limit. Do allow at least 30 minutes extra to return a rental car.

Compared to Atlanta, rush hour traffic here is a piece of cake. It's just not as large of a metropolitan area as Atlanta. I've commuted in both Boston and Wash. DC, and this is a dream (although some may disagree, but you haven't lived until you've sat in traffic for two+ hours day after day in places like that!)

Good luck with your interview!

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 5:00 traffic?

I'll agree with the 30 minutes to the airport and 30 minutes to return a rental car (and the shuttle to the airport).

Traffic in general clogs up during the main rush hours, especially along I-25 and I-70 in parts. I-225 can backup down South, especially with an accident. C-470 is a crawl most rush hours, especially on the South part. US36 clogs up getting onto I-25. Just like everywhere, accidents make things worse. They have built a light rail that covers the Southern part of I-25 from downtown to the edge of Denver along I-25 that has helped, and we just got done with T-Rex that improved I-25 from downtown to the Southern edge of Denver (the same as a lightrail part). If you can avoid driving the rush hour times, things go fairly smoothly.

<rant>And then there's snow. Some morons drive about 15mph in the fast lane as soon as they see flakes falling, regardless if the ground is dry, it's 50 degrees out and no snow on the ground, so the roads clog up fast. I call them Californians, though usually the license plate says Texas and/or they have a bumper sticker of the Colorado license plate that says "Native". If there is actual snow on the ground, things get worse. Snow removal lately has been pretty bad.</rant>

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 5:00 traffic?

Thanks so much for all your help! I really appreciate it; my bf booked it for me and the interview ends at 5; the flight is for 7:30 (he assured me it would be plenty of time). I'm doing the online check in to make it faster. I won't be checking in any bags, and I'm a regular runner (lol), and I've hoofed it like mad to make tight connections before. It'll be tight but I think I can manage, but I especially appreciate all the input from everyone. And yes I will be renting a car. Thanks so much for the input!

5. Re: 5:00 traffic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 07:17