We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westminster or Thornton for hotel?

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Coast, US
11 posts
Save Topic
Westminster or Thornton for hotel?

I'm 1,700 miles away, listening to The Mountain online, reading this forum and getting VERY excited about my week's vacation in CO in late June!

I'll have a rental car, and plan on visiting Denver, Boulder, and some of the other great recommendations I'm reading about here on TA.

I have enough points in one of my hotel accounts to cover most of the week, if I stay at the Hampton Inn in Thornton or Westminster. First visit to CO. Do you recommend Thornton over Westminster, or...?

Thank you!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westminster or Thornton for hotel?

Westminster. I lived there many years ago and found it to be a nicer area than Thornton (things could have changed since then). However if you are heading over to Boulder, Westminster is along US 36, conveniently just down the road from either Boulder or Denver.

Maybe you do not have enough points, but I would stay in the Lousiville Hampton Inn. Louisville is such a cute little town very close to Boulder and just off of US 36, easy to get to Denver.

I have not stayed in any of those Hamptons, so I can not attest to the quality of the hotel. You could call and ask the locations if any have rooms w/ mountain views - Westminster and Louisville might... Maybe that would help your decision.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westminster or Thornton for hotel?

I totally agree with Westminster! If you want something else to do I rarely see mentioned on these forums, one day drive to the top of Mt Evans, I believe the highest paved road in North America. You can drive to the top of a 14,000+ ft mountain, unbelieveable views along the way and up top. Less than an hour's drive from Westminster.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,985 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westminster or Thornton for hotel?

If you can stay for free.. stay in Westminster. If you have to pay for lodging, stay elsewhere.

Westminster is very close to Boulder, the Butterfly Museum, plus a quick drive into Denver!

I would also plan on a trip to Rocky Mtn National Park and possibly up to Summit County, Breckenridge etc.

Have fun planning.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westminster or Thornton for hotel?

I agree.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Westminster or Thornton for hotel?

I live in Westminster, so of course you should choose Westminster!

Aside from my bias, it's closer to Boulder than Thornton. Denver could be equal distance.

Can you give more exact locations of the hotels? Might be able to help decide further. Both cites are quite large and difference parts of each city are better/worse than other parts.

East Coast, US
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Westminster or Thornton for hotel?

Sure is looking like Westminster! The Hampton Inn there is at 5030 W. 88th Place, just off 36 at Sheridan.

The Thornton location is at 243 East 120th Ave, just off the 25.

Thanks again!

LoDo
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Westminster or Thornton for hotel?

Listening to The Mountain... I'm impressed. I am a former east coaster myself and moved out here about a year and a half ago. Westminster is much better than Thornton. It's about halfway between downtown Denver and Boulder... the best of both worlds. The Hampton Inn is OK, I stayed there several times. But, the Westin in Westminster is a much better hotel option. Lots going on out here in late June... you may never want to go back east!!

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Westminster or Thornton for hotel?

The Westminster one will be much better driving-location wise, with the okay on/off 36 location. There isn't too much within walking around there, but certainly some shops/restaurants around there like Unos, Saltgrass, Outback, Wendy's, Sweet Tomatoes, Papa Deax's (expensive).

I live near the Thornton one (but in Westminster) and there is easy on/off to I-25, but it's then not good for getting to Boulder. There are restaurants, but only "functional" shopping. Fudrucker's, Outback, Heidi's (my favorite sandwich shop), and more chains down 120. If you wanted to go up North on I-25, you should choose this (to goto Wyoming or Ft. Collins for example).

The Westin would be a great place, but I doubt it's within your points budget (or chain?). There's a good Plaza area within walking distance (2 min walk?) with restaurants like Dave & Busters, Rock Bottom (my favorite), Bar Louie's (good deal on Tuesday evenings, $2 pints and $1+ burger, feed two people for $10 easy!), a sushi place, Carraba's (or Johnny Carrino's, I can't remember which) and more. You could stop there at 104th & 36 on your way to/from the hotel and Boulder. You could then just take 104th to Sheradon (sp?) down to your hotel on 88th and skip the highway.

You could take the bus from 120/I-25 or 88 & 36 to downtown Denver as well. They're both $5 I believe. Would be all easy/good walking from the 88th Hampton, probably not the 120th one (park and ride is across I25, called Wagon Wheel Rd I think).

http://www.rtd-denver.com

Routes AB/AF or 120X.

If you wanted to drive to Denver, parking can suck. My favorite parking garage is between 16th and 15th on Lawrence on the right hand side. There's a little sign that points to the entrance. It's $5 in the evenings (after 5?). It's easy to get in and out of. Just take I-25 to Speer South, turn left on Lawrence and a few blocks you're there. It dumps you back out to get back on Speer to get back on I25 easy. You could take the HOV lanes both ways, from Westminster or the Thornton hotels.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Westminster or Thornton for hotel?

Oh, one other tip, there's a Costco on 92nd near US36. If you're staying at the 88th Hampton, you can gas up there if you're a member and they're usually the cheapest gas place.

If you decide to stay on the 120th Hampton, to get to Boulder, just take 120th until it intersects with US36. Coming back from 36 you can take 120th again, but it's a little tricky as you get off at US287 and then have to take a LEFT loop around down to 120th. I drive this to work daily, but there are many other routes if you want something more scenic perhaps.

I can provide more details if needed.

East Coast, US
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Westminster or Thornton for hotel?

Thanks for all your tips and suggestions! I've stayed at the Westin in Hollywood, FL. Would LOVE to stay there. But, with tax, rates start at $222+/night, vs free. No, Hampton Inn isn't a Westin. Then again -- what is? ;)

Booked six nights at the Westminster Hampton Inn. Given the price (free) and, based on what you all have written, the easy access to both Boulder and Denver, I think it will work out great! (And they throw in breakfast and free Internet as well...)

Definitely planning at least one day trip into the mountains, and studying many of your suggestions here and on other threads. And although it's not a CO-specific activity, I'm thrilled that I'll get to see Crosby, Stills & Nash in Denver on the 26th!