We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family vacation resort near Denver?

midwest
1 post
Save Topic
family vacation resort near Denver?

I found an old college friend in Denver that I would like to go visit this summer. My husbannd and I are going to make a family vacation out of our reunion. We have three kids, ages 8, 7, and 2. We would like to stay halfway between Denver so we can visit our dear friends, and the mountains, where we can do outdoor activities. A condo or family resort would be great, possibly on or near a lake, with great beautiful views of the mountains. Of course, the kids are requesting an outdoor pool for swimimng, and six flags in Denver. Does anyone have any ideas where we could stay???? What are the other "must see" family activities in the summer? All ideas are welcome. Thanks much!!

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: family vacation resort near Denver?

There really isn't anything "inbetween" Denver and the resorts in the mountains. I would suggest splitting up your trip and stay in Denver a few nights and then in the Mountains a few nights. That way you don't spend hours of your trip driving back and forth. However, staying in the Mountains at a resort like Keystone is only a 90-120 minute drive, so it's possible to drive back and forth.

Six Flags sold off the park here so it's now called Elitch Garden's again. I highly recommend Water World. It's one of the top water parks in the Nation (and beats Elitch's) and it's a short 20 minutes from Downtown (still in the metro area). Your 8 & 7 year olds will love it, the 2year old will have fun in the baby area as well. Not sure if they could go on the individual rides. They have a family raft ride that's fun for the whole family at once.

http://www.waterworldcolorado.com

http://www.elitchgardens.com

Elitch's is fun too. Not sure you could do a whole day on just the rides. You'd have to ride the same ones over and over to keep busy. It's still fun though but it's no Disneyland or anything.

When you're up in the mountains, you could go rafting too. Not sure if they'd let you take the 2 year old though. You could rent bikes and go for a ride. There are lots of hiking trails.

Denver, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: family vacation resort near Denver?

I also agree with the previous person that there isn't much between Denver and the mountains. I would break the trip up and spend 2 or 3 days in Denver. There are lots to do for kids your ages in Denver - Denver Zoo, Nature & Science Museum, Children's Museum (8 year old may be board), Elitch Gardens, Lakeside Amusement Park (old-time amusement park), etc.

I then recommending staying at the YMCA camp called Snow Mountain Ranch past Winter Park. They have cabins you can rent and on-site have hiking, arts & craft hut, rock climbing, swimming, and activities. If this is full, you can find a condo at many of the resort places including Breckenridge, Keystone, Vail, etc.

3. Re: family vacation resort near Denver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 22:18
Get answers to your questions about Denver