We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

familiar with these cafeterias?

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
368 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
familiar with these cafeterias?

I have a weird affinity for cheap-but-good cafeterias. (If you've ever been to Scholl's in D.C., you know the kind I mean.)

I've seen Google listings for Furr's and Park Central, but can't find reviews. Any thoughts? Or, are there others in downtown Denver?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,224 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: familiar with these cafeterias?

Furrs is canned green beans and corn with powdered beef gravy on the mystery meatloaf. Not my idea of a great culinary event or even a good cafeteria. Think retirement community food.

Of course this is my opinion from the Furrs I have dined at in the past 30 years!! Sorry to all Furrs managers and staff, I am not blaming you!!!!

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
368 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: familiar with these cafeterias?

Well, let's forget that one! Thanks for the warning.

I get the sense that cafeterias are dying out. But maybe there's a good relic or two someone knows about?

Denver
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: familiar with these cafeterias?

Hmm...yeah, we have more diners than cafeterias here. I'm trying to think of a restaurant that is more buffet style, but it's a lot of chains.

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: familiar with these cafeterias?

Cinnzetti's in Northglenn (on I-25 at 104th) is a great Italian buffet. It's huge and has good food. Not a cafeteria, though.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: familiar with these cafeterias?

BD's Mongolian BBQ is good and all-you-can-eat and you make your own bowl of food and they cook it in front of you on a huge grill. Not a cafeteria, but still quite good. The one in downtown Denver is fairly small. The Boulder one is bigger and right on Pearl St. for a good walk/shopping afternoon to work off all the extra food as well and they're the same really.

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
368 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: familiar with these cafeterias?

Thanks! Any cheap-but-good breakfast places?

Westminster...
Level Contributor
12 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: familiar with these cafeterias?

For breakfast:

Pete's Kitchen

1962 E Colfax Ave (@ Race Street)

Denver, CO 80206

Phone: (303) 321-3139

or

Annie's Cafe

4012 E Eighth Ave

Denver, CO 80220-3701

Phone: (303) 355-8197

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
368 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: familiar with these cafeterias?

Excellent, I'm looking forward to trying them.

(Also, I just found out that the Sholls cafeteria in DC went out of business 7 years ago! I guess it's tough to run a cafeteria these days.)

9. Re: familiar with these cafeterias?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 05:25