We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Wheat Ridge a reasonable area to stay?

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Is Wheat Ridge a reasonable area to stay?

We're trying to pick a hotel which has a separate bedroom and sofa bed in a living area. Embassy Suites (our first choice) seem to be booked up. The next option is the Holiday Inn Express in Wheat Ridge, just near I-70 - seems a reasonable price, but is the area OK? Has anyone ever stayed there? I think it was a Super 8 until earlier this year - there are no reviews now it is a Holiday Inn Express. Any comments or advice welcome!

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
650 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Wheat Ridge a reasonable area to stay?

I've not stayed at this particular hotel, but the hotel is in a nice area, convenient to I-70, and we've had very positive experiences with Holiday Inn Express whenever we've stayed at one in the past.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Wheat Ridge a reasonable area to stay?

There's nothing wrong or unsafe with this area other than there's nothing there! There are just retail/industrial sites along I-70 in Wheatridge, so you'd definitely need a car to venture out to eat/sightsee. There's a decent shopping mall/restaurant area about five minutes west on I-70 called Denver West and you'd be close to the foothills and mountains. Downtown Denver is only about 15-20 minutes away east on I-70. As long as you're resigned to driving everywhere, it's not a bad place to stay (Holiday Inn Express hotels are usually quite nice properties).

Rochester, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Wheat Ridge a reasonable area to stay?

Thanks for your comments. I'm expecting that we will be out most of the day, so it's not too much of a problem that we will have to drive to places to eat. I'm not sure about the industrial units you mention, though! Can you suggest any other areas west of Denver that are pleasant to stay in?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Wheat Ridge a reasonable area to stay?

By industrial, I meant warehouses or garage/shop type structures; certainly no manufacturing or steelmills here! I can picture a huge auto retail site nearby - that type of thing. Not unpleasant, but just nothing to walk to or see.

One area that you might look into is Golden, which is about 10 minutes west of Wheatridge on I-70 and right in the foothills. They're famous as the location for the Coors Brewery of which you can take a tour, but then again, as a Brit, I'm sure you appreciate REAL beer! (LOL - sorry to all you Coors fans, but I prefer real beer too!) It's more of a town setting, fairly scenic, with a historic Western area. I can't recommend any particular hotel there, but there is a wide choice near I-70 or also Hwy 6 (also known as 6th Avenue). Outside of rush hour, you'd get into downtown in about 20 minutes from here. On Yahoo.com, Maps, you can call up a map of Golden and click on Hotels to get hotel locations on the map from which to start your selection.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Wheat Ridge a reasonable area to stay?

I think you would enjoy the chain Residence Inn; it's a Marriott division. All units have a separate sitting area with a couch that makes a bed; most have a fireplace. All have a kitchen. They are very nicely done.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
58 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Wheat Ridge a reasonable area to stay?

I live in Wheat Ridge, but not close I-70. I concur that you're in a safe place, however, the area is not much to look at, not to mention the noise from I-70. When I searched trip advisor for Golden, CO the Denver Marriott West came up which is further west off I-70 and a nice hotel. It's very close to the Denver West Shopping Center and Colorado Mills Mall. Depends on the $$$ you want to spend. Let me know what kind of food you like and I can recommend some restaurants.

-Rob

Celina
Level Contributor
16 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Wheat Ridge a reasonable area to stay?

We're looking for a condo type place to stay for a week. Two bedrooms type of place in the Golden area. Will check on the Yahoo maps section thanks. Also will be looking for some great Italian restaurants in the area.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
58 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Wheat Ridge a reasonable area to stay?

A few good Italian restaurants in Denver:

http://www.lucadenver.com

http://www.maggianos.com

http://www.amoredenver.com

-Rob

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Wheat Ridge a reasonable area to stay?

Since you're coming from such a distance, you should consider staying somewhere where you can get out and walk. The sugggestions other made that you try Golden are good. I suggest the Table Mountain Inn. It's a smaller hotel on the main street in Golden and very nicely done. I hosted a reunion there a couple of years ago and everyone thought it was wonderful. They have suites. www.tablemountaininn.com

Rochester, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Wheat Ridge a reasonable area to stay?

Thank you so much for all your suggestions and comments. We will definitely be staying in Golden - either in the Table Mountain Inn, which looks fantastic, or the Residence Inn. Just waiting to hear what availability the Table Mountain Inn has, before making the final decision.