We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday afternoon/evening in Denver

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
372 posts
466 reviews
Save Topic
Saturday afternoon/evening in Denver

We will be arriving in Denver around 1:30 on a Saturday in August and will be checking into a hotel in Colorado Springs that evening. I was thinking we might stay in Denver for the afternoon and evening. Two activities we are interested in (touring the Capitol and the Mint) aren't available on weekends. What else is good to do? Is the Molly Brown house worth doing? Any good museums? Other ideas?

Our group is 2 adults and 2 college kids.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
372 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday afternoon/evening in Denver

Anyone?

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
663 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday afternoon/evening in Denver

You may find some ideas at this site (and everything listed is FREE):

colorado-for-free.com/ColoradoRegions/FrontR…

Also, take a look at this page on that same site:

www.colorado-for-free.com/DenverForFree.htm

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday afternoon/evening in Denver

I think the Museum of Science and Natural History is probably the best in Denver, always enjoy it. But keep in mind that if you are flying in (assuming), that it can take you an hour to hour 1/2 to actually deboard, take the train to terminal, pick up baggage, get your rental car, drive to downtown and park. (especially if you are not totally familiar with the airport and downtown area).

That gets you into the museum proably about 3 PM, and since I believe it closes at 5 ... not too much time! We usually spend four or more hours or so with the planetarium and an IMAX show.

I haven't been to the Molly Brown Museum.

There also of course is just hanging out on 16th Street Mall/LoDo area, shopping, having dinner, etc.

But I might be tempted to skip Denver and drive straight to Colorado Springs, if you have reservations in Colorado Springs for that night.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday afternoon/evening in Denver

I agree with izzy that you might want to head straight to the Springs. When you get to the Springs you could visit the Garden of the Gods park to relax after your trip and enjoy some incredible scenery.

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saturday afternoon/evening in Denver

If you are interested in fossils you could always check out Dinosaur Ridge. It's not far out of your way, and it's free. There are some really neat fossila there and it doesn't take long to visit it. It's also near Red Rocks, so you could see that also.

http://www.dinoridge.org/

6. Re: Saturday afternoon/evening in Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 00:16