We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TSA Luggage Locks

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mnr
Kansas City, MO.
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Topic
TSA Luggage Locks

We are flying out to Denver & EP in a few days. We're using the luggage locks approved by the TSA for the first time. We haven't flown in almost a year and I've been told not to use the regular locks because the TSA will cut them if they inspect your luggage.

My questions are:

What issues could we run into with these new locks?

Who exactly has access to the master keys?

Thanks in advance!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TSA Luggage Locks

Here's the webpage from the TSA on their luggage lock policy:

tsa.gov/travelers/…locks.shtm

Who exactly has access? Who knows! Are you sure you really need to lock your luggage? Are you putting anything of value in there other than clothes and cosmetics? I would never put my laptop, camera or other electronics in my checked bag - all of that stuff comes with me in my carry on and it sails through security. I have never locked my luggage including on overseas trips and have never lost anything. I feel having a lock may draw attention to my luggage. There's nothing inside that I couldn't easily replace. That's my approach anyway!

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TSA Luggage Locks

I've used the TSA locks for several years, from when they first came out. They usually are combination locks and have a little color coded thing that shows if they have been opened. I've never had one opened. That feature in itself is nice, because the old key type luggage locks had generic keys that everyone had and you could not tell if they had been opened. I would not worry excessively about the TSA locks, as you are not putting any valuable in your checked luggage, right? For me, I lock my luggage to keep it from coming open accidentally and keep the amateurs out. There are no secrets at the airport anymore! I've seen people that haven't figured that out get quite indignant at the searches, etc, but that's the way it is.

Just before the TSA locks came out, I used to have the airline ticket people make me take the old style locks off before I checked them, because TSA couldn't get in the bags without cutting them off. So I doubt you can even use your old locks anymore, except for carry-on bags.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TSA Luggage Locks

I agree with Shaken Bake, my luggage has been rifled during some recent travels but luckily I never put anything of value in any checked bags. I never lock my luggage anymore, either.

mnr
Kansas City, MO.
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: TSA Luggage Locks

Well, maybe I'm watching too many 20/20 TV shows but...I've always locked our luggage using regular locks. Accidents can happen. It also keeps the amateurs from pillaging our stuff. Any valuables are carried on. That's just common sense. I did purchase the color-coded TSA locks in case our luggage is opened. It sounds like we don't have a whole lot to worry about.

5. Re: TSA Luggage Locks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 22:20