We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas in Denver

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Xmas in Denver

Kiwis in search of a white christmas, what do we do and see on christmas day in Denver?

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
671 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas in Denver

Here's a link for things to see and do around downtown Denver during the Christmas season:

downtowndenver.com/visitors/MileHighHolidays…

If you literally want to have a "white Christmas", you may be disappointed to be in Denver itself. Based on memory alone (I lived in Denver for the first 48 years of my life), fresh snow on the ground on Christmas day is less than 50% likely.

Now, if you want to see snow, you can be certain to find it if you head up to the mountains. Even if you aren't skiers, perhaps a trip to one of Colorado's ski resorts on Christmas day might be fun. I was going to suggest the Winter Park Ski Train from Denver to Winter Park ski area, but just looked it up, and the train schedule doesn't begin until December 27.

:-(

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
474 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas in Denver

They are probably mentioned in the link posted up above, but if you're interested in light displays, the Denver Zoolights are fun. There is also one at the Denver Botanic Gardens. It may not be snowy, but it can get cold at night- have wool or thermal socks amd other warm clothing. It doesn't look like either place is closed on Xmas day.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas in Denver

Thanks for the replies, hopefully we'll see some snow in NYC or heading nth to Niagara. We have Xmas Eve and Day in Denver. What restaurant would be good to go to for xmas day??? We will probably have to book soon???

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas in Denver

What kind of food do you prefer?

Some of the best restaurants in town include:

Mizuna

Luca D'Italia

Capital Grille (for steak)

Rioja

I'm not sure which restaurants are actually open on Christmas, though. Try the Opentable website for advance reservations. I think most or all of these restaurants use Opentable.

If you have a specific style of food/ambience you'd like, maybe we can come up with more choices.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
474 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xmas in Denver

If none of the above recommendations work for you, or you can't find an open place, here's a place I went to a few years back on Christmas Day: It's called Baby Doe's Matchless Mine, and it has a Christmas day buffet. I don't normally go to buffets, but I was with "buffet" people that day. The restaurant has an enormous spread of good to above-average food in an old-west mine atmosphere, with a quite nice view of the Denver skyline at the window tables. On Christmas Day, people tend to eat midday, so go early, otherwise you'll be disappointed. You can read some current reviews at dinesite.com, possibly email them to see if they still offer their holiday buffet.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
474 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xmas in Denver

There's current reviews, but apparently it has closed recently. Couldn't keep up with all that tough competition out there!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
474 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xmas in Denver

You could also try the restaurants in one of Denver's historic hotels- the Brown Palace or the Oxford. I can't see hotel restaurants closing for the holiday...

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xmas in Denver

Brown Palace is a good suggestion. Funny I didn't think of that, since we will be travelling in a foreign country on Christmas also, and I've been wondering whether we will go without dinner that night.

I finally concluded that a restaurant associated with a hotel might be our best hope for finding a meal, and it probably is your best bet too. Brown Palace certainly would be a nice place to have Christmas dinner.

Good thinking....

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xmas in Denver

Also on that note, another one we've neglected to list that happens to be one of Denver's finest restaurants:

Restaurant Kevin Taylor at Hotel Teatro....

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Xmas in Denver

The brain is definitely failing...

Also, Panzano is very good.

It is in the Hotel Monaco downtown