We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest accommodation

U.K.
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest accommodation

Please would you be able to advise me on the cheapest possible accommodation for one night in Denver. Myself and three friends arrive in Denver from the U.K. early March and are travelling to Breckenridge the next day. Before we leave we would like to purchase some snowboarding gear so any recommendations for the cheapest shops would be great. Am I right in thinking that snow equipment will be cheaper in Denver than Breckenridge. As you can probably tell our budget is very small. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest accommodation

You are correct thinking that renting in Denver will be cheaper than slope-side at Breck. I looked at Christy Sports ( http://www.christysports.com/ ) and in Denver it was as low as $22 (for places out of your way, $30 for closer places to your path) and at Breck it was $33. So, for $11/day and driving it may be worth it. Buying equipment would probably be cheaper in Denver also. However, if you buy/rest equipment at Breck, you may be able to Demo gear first and exchange things if you don't like them much easier. Plus, you won't have to squeeze all the gear and 4 adults and luggage into a car. I don't think rental cars come with skiracks and even if it's an option, it may be expensive.

As for cheaper places to stay, avoid downtown Denver. Places by the airport may be okay/reasonable but Golden would also work as it's along your path.

Looking on this website at places by the airport ( tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g33388-Denver_Colorad… ) Super 8 is cheap but Days Inn, Ramada and Red Roof Inn are also reasonable.

Looking at Golden/Lakewood here ( tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g33388-Denver_Colorad… ) lists Motel 6 for $24 but that sounds sketchy and cheap.

You could also try hotels near/around Silverthorne which is along your route ( tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g33645-Silverthorne_C… ). This website lists La Quinta and Days Inn at reasonable prices.

Good luck and welcome to Colorado!

U.K.
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest accommodation

Thanks for the links mecu. We arrive about 8pm in Denver, I'm just wondering if it will be worth staying in Denver for one night or just driving straight to Breckenridge. We may be to tired to drive anywhere. We only need to buy snowboard jackets,pants and goggles as we will hire boards etc... in Breck. At the same time I wouldn't mind checking out the Denver night life. Will we really save that much money? Decisions, decisions...hmmm!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest accommodation

Hi there! If you're shopping in March, you should be able to great bargains on ski gear. There is a factory outlet mall in Silverthorne (near Breck) that has stores with good deals. There is also a big sporting goods store in Denver called Gart Brothers with a very big location in Denver at 10th and Broadway - I'd recommend shopping there for the best selection and prices.

It's not a difficult drive to Breck from Denver - mostly well-maintained superhighway (assuming we're not having a blizzard!) Nevertheless, you'd probably be better off getting some sleep before you attempt driving on the wrong side of the road! Perhaps there may be some cheaper places in Aurora (not far from the airport), but do your homework to make sure they're of acceptable quality and location.

Denver has decent nightlife, particularly in the LoDo (lower downtown) area. But you've got to get your sleep before you start driving, so save your partying for Breck! (You didn't know your mother reads these boards, huh? LOL!) Have a great trip!

U.K.
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest accommodation

Thanks Mum. : )

Your absolutely right though, wouldn't want to get arrested for drink driving the first day of our holiday. I will definitely check out those stores. It's amazing the amount of money we'll save on gear, almost half the price. Thanks again.

Denver, Colorado
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest accommodation

Try Days Inn or Super 8. If you can get a room at the downtown

Ramada for under $20.00, go for it. Its dirty and unfriendly, but at that price, who cares.

U.K.
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest accommodation

Wow, that really is cheap! Dirty and unfriendly, sounds interesting. Thanks

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest accommodation

Use www.hotwire.com or www.priceline.com and you'll save a lot of money and you won't have to stay in a dirty, unfriendly place.

Do your research first on www.biddingfortravel.com. It's a free, independent web site for people to compare notes on what they paid on Priceline and what hotels they got. Biddingfortravel.com also has a list of all the hotels Priceline uses in the Denver area and the *level of the accomodation.

Staying at the airport would probably work well for you. All the hotels are newish, and using Priceline, they are cheap--$35.00-$50.00 a night. You could also save a day on your rental car that way and use the hotel's free shuttle to the airport and pick it up the next morning for the drive.

Current postings include:

3* Marriott Airport Gateway Park 12/22 $49 2 1/1/06 2:47 pm

3* DT Denver Adams Mark 11/21 $50 (this one is downtown).

In my opinion, the airport would be better than downtown. From there, you simply get on I-70. Nothing complicated--and as I said, you could save a day's car rental fee.

Denver
Level Contributor
422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest accommodation

I wouldn't necessarily characterize the downtown Ramada as dirty and unfriendly - there are lots of cheaper, dirtier and more unfriendly no-name motels in Denver. I also don't think you'll ever be able to find a room there for $20 (unless I'm missing some great deal finding skills). There is a slightly cheaper Ramada - the Ramada Continental - which is just across the interstate from downtown.

The Ramada Downtown does have the convenience of being fairly centrally located for a tour of some of Denver's best dive bars, if that's of any interest to you.

As previous posters have mentioned, your best bet may be to stay at the airport and rent your car the next day. And I personally go to Gart Sports in downtown Denver to buy all my snowboarding equipment. Gart's has great deals and a good selection. However, Good deals can also be found in the ski areas as the season progresses, especially for the smaller stuff. You should be able to find good prices either way.

U.K.
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest accommodation

Thanks Pstreet for the websites. I've checked them out and they look very useful. I think I would prefer to stay downtown, so we have the option of visiting these seedy bars, they sound like great fun! Plus we have already paid for a hire car from the day we arrive. Thanks also to djironic for the shop info. We've decided we're definitely buying gear over there, so we shall be visiting your recommendations. Colorado here we come!