We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

closest place to Ski

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
houston tx
Level Contributor
89 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
closest place to Ski

I will be in denver Feb 2-5. Is there anywhere to ski that is close to here? i would like to get some lessions since i will be back at the end of the month. Thanks.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,261 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: closest place to Ski

Loveland is the closest, 53 miles from Denver: http://www.skiloveland.com/

houston tx
Level Contributor
89 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: closest place to Ski

Thanks this place is perfect. I will have a small car. Can I make it there in a small car rental? How long will it take to get there? I am near the convention center in Downtown Denver.

Edited: 20 January 2011, 15:05
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: closest place to Ski

4 wheels and a motor will be fine . . . unless snowy conditions foul up things. In good weather abt 1.5 hrs max maybe less. Fri pm or Sat am much longer. Drink fluids, i.e. water. Loveland's base is 10.6K.

houston tx
Level Contributor
89 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: closest place to Ski

Wow 1.5hrs. Man that is a long drive for 53miles. Hey I am going to enjoy it. Is there a site I can get realiable weather updates or local will be fine? any other tips for first timer? Should I carry a hydration pack? What time do these places shut down? Does any know of a weather alert you can get for your phone so i dont get stuck there. thx

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,261 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: closest place to Ski

A hydration pack is a very good idea.

Most of the information you seek (operating hours, weather, etc.) is on the Loveland website. For instance, weather link: skiloveland.com/themountain/…Weather.aspx

houston tx
Level Contributor
89 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: closest place to Ski

Thanks for the link. Sorry for the newb question but what considered bad weather. I saw blowing snow. What should i lookf for. Do they post road conditions? THX

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,167 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: closest place to Ski

Road conditions: http://www.cotrip.org/home.htm

Here's a link to a recent discussion of your "beginner skiing near Denver" question. Keystone, Winter Park and Eldora are also often recommended.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33388-i253-k41215…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33388-i253-k39707…

houston tx
Level Contributor
89 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: closest place to Ski

thanks that what is was looking for. Man that looks crazy with all that snow. I only about 10 hrs to be out there. I am there for a convention and dont want to get stuck. I guess with this I can monitor the conditions.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: closest place to Ski

Feb 2nd is a long way off. Weather comes and goes quickly. Also check road conditions at

http://www.cotrip.org/device.htm

houston tx
Level Contributor
89 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: closest place to Ski

I-70 is the major route to all the major snow lodges. Are these maintained daily(snow plow,sand ect.)? I will also be at Breckenridge for a wedding at the end of the month. I will have a small car for this trip but will be driving a van on the next trip. I just want to make sure i am not getting over my head or over thinking. Just want to make sure we arrive safe. THX