We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude Sickness in Denver?

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Topic
Altitude Sickness in Denver?

Hello -

My husband and I have never been to Denver and were wondering if coming from a low altitude of about 500 ft to over 5,000 feet causes tourists any issues? I have heard of altitude sickness but not sure at what altitude that happens. Thanks!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,462 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Altitude Sickness in Denver?

Some people do find themselves short of breath in Denver when exercising, but I have never had any of our visitors have any type of serious issues.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Altitude Sickness in Denver?

Click here... tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28927-i252-Colora…

In the top right hand corner is TOP QUESTIONS - under there is lots of great info/resources on altitude sickness. When I lived on the front range I don't recall any of my guests having issues, but up here in the mountains it is more common. Even my guest this past weekend from the Denver area had some headache issues.

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Altitude Sickness in Denver?

I've only know one person from low elevation who had any altitude issues in Denver proper. Most people I have known that showed signs of altitude sickness have not had issues until around 7000 feet and higher. The aforementioned frequently asked questions in the Colorado forum will have a lot of good stuff to read.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,330 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Altitude Sickness in Denver?

Coming from Georgia and spending a week in the area we had no problems even in Rocky Mt. National Park.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Altitude Sickness in Denver?

My children had altitude sickness when we went skiing at Keystone last winter. Each day my son had headaches, no appetite and had to lay down and take a nap every afternoon, then felt better. My daughter had headaches each day. Adults were fine other than shortness of breath.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,462 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Altitude Sickness in Denver?

Know that Keystone is much higher in altitude than Denver. Sorry that your child felt bad but it really does not relate.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Altitude Sickness in Denver?

I've lived in FL all my life and had no problems. Had a little shortness of breath at North Rim GC (8800 ft), but I was running around like a kid. DW had some problems a few years ago. She had just quit smoking.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Altitude Sickness in Denver?

it's an individual thing, but most do not get sick till over 7000 feet. Have been to the area a couple of times from the flat midwest. Would get a little short of breath hiking, but only when hoofing it uphill. Been to many, many areas with higher elevations without issues aside from working harder to breathe. Until-- we went up Mt Evans last fall. I guess 14000 feet is my limit? Felt nauseous and light headed-- drank some water and took it easy for a little bit and then was fine.

Colorado Springs...
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Altitude Sickness in Denver?

Certainly possible that you could experience some altitude sickness, but I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it. Exercise common sense for coming to visit an altitude - drink lots of water, go easy on the alcohol until you see how you do, etc.... Even for people who do experience altitude sickness, it is often very mild - headaches and nausea, that got away relatively quickly.

Definitely don't let it discourage you from coming to vist, and don't spend time worrying about it. Just be smart once you get here. Have a great trip!

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Altitude Sickness in Denver?

I doubt you would have trouble with Altitude sickness in Denver... BUT, you have to drink so much more water than you are accustomed to drinking. There is not much humidity and when you don't drink water, you can get light headaches which might be confused with altitude sickness.

The air in Denver is dry and so it pulls moisture out of your body at a higher rate.