We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Denver - Wyoming and Continental Divide ?

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
905 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Denver - Wyoming and Continental Divide ?

My son and I will end our West Coast baseball viewing trip this summer by stopping in Denver on our way home to Indiana to see a couple of Rockies games. We will fly in from San Francisco on a Friday afternoon to see a 7 p.m. Rockies game. We will also attend a 6 p.m. Saturday game. Sunday is intended to be a visit to the Air Force Academy and Pike's Peak before flying home on Monday morning from either Colorado Springs or Denver.

In addition to getting Coors Field added to our list of MLB parks visited, we would like to add Wyoming to our list of states visited and we would like to cross the Continental Divide.

Clearly our time to do this is Saturday before the 6 pm game. I can see that we can easily get to Cheyenne and back - but what would be the best way to satisfy the Continental Divide portion of the trip as well in a Saturday morning/afternoon trip?

And I don't think I want to try to do the AFA, Pike's Peak and a ride to the Continental Divide all on Sunday?

I will look at flights to get us to Denver early enough on Friday to go to Loveland Pass, but I don't think that we will be able make that happen.

Thanks in advance for your help. TA is invaluable to our trip planning as we always try to do too much in too little time.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,743 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Denver - Wyoming and Continental Divide ?

The Continental Divide in Wyoming cuts across the state from the northwest corner to the south central area. I know it is very evident and well marked in Yellowstone National Park. The other area that I know you can see the continental divide is west of Laramie, WY in the Medicine Bow National Forest. Cheyenne is about a 2 hour drive from Denver and Laramie is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Denver. You would probably need to check with the National Forest Headquarters to estimate the time to get to the continental divide. I think that it would be at least 3 to 3 1/2 hours. We were in Laramie and Medicine Bow NF is September but came up from Estes Park so it is difficult for me to calculate the times.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Denver - Wyoming and Continental Divide ?

Hmmm...interesting. I'm also always trying to do too much on vacations. You can sleep when you get home, right?

It seems to me like you'd have the most time to get to the Divide on Sunday since you have all day... and Loveland Pass would seem to be the place.

But maybe you could drive to Milner Pass on Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park and then drive to Cheyenne and back. Not sure if that would be better than the crossing near Laramie...just a thought.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea. Hope you have a great trip.

Edited: 18 February 2011, 05:57
Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Denver - Wyoming and Continental Divide ?

If all you really want to do is "check" Wyoming off of your list, why not just do it on Friday evening after the game. Cheyenne really isn't anything special at all --- they don't even have great restaurants. Wyoming is just a straight shot up the interstate from Denver, and the views are pretty much the same as what you see from Denver--- plains to your east, mountains to the west. It will be late, but you should still be on West Coast time, which might make it a little easier on you.

Then, you could do Loveland Pass on Saturday, getting back in time for the game.

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Denver - Wyoming and Continental Divide ?

In my opinion, Wyoming is a state worth exploring. Just driving to Cheyenne to check it off will not do it justice - nor will you see why you need to visit Wyoming. It would be like driving to Limon and saying...well, I've seen Colorado. Personally, I love the Tetons and Wind River Range.

I don't think you'll have time, but the Vedauwoo area / Happy Jack Trails between Laramie and Cheyenne is also a neat area (especially on a mtn bike). Never understood the statue honoring the 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth...since that took place a 1000 miles east or so. It would be about 2.5 hour drive from Denver.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
905 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Denver - Wyoming and Continental Divide ?

Thanks for the replies. We have some thinking and planning to do.

Looking at different early morning flight options out of San Francisco and San Jose to try to get to Denver early enough Friday to head to Wyoming before we go to the game, leaving Saturday for exploring towards the mountains before Sunday trip to Colordao Springs around the Friday and Saturday night Rockies games.

Looks like we have a couple of flight options to leave Califronia around 8 to 9 a.m. that get us to Denver by Noon. It seems that should be enough time to drive to Cheyenne and perhaps a bit beyond before returning back to Denver in time to get checked in to our hotel and get to Coors Field for a 7 p.m. game.

My son will be between his sophomore and junior years of high school - we are running out of time to do things.

We drove the Upper Midwest last year and would love to drive across the entire Rockies region - thought about driving from the Bay Area to Denver but simply don't have enough time. It is already a 10 day trip with 3 nights in San Diego, 3 in San Francisco and 1 in Santa Cruz (to ride the Giant Dipper and drive part of the Big Sur) before the flight to Denver. The primary objective is watching baseball (2 Padres, 3 Giants and 2 Rockies games). What was just going to be an overnight in Denver on the way home has turned in to 3 nights.

Still have a few months to really pin stuff down - buying the airline tickets will lock in the intinerary and allow us to get down to details.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Denver - Wyoming and Continental Divide ?

<<<Looks like we have a couple of flight options to leave Califronia around 8 to 9 a.m. that get us to Denver by Noon. It seems that should be enough time to drive to Cheyenne and perhaps a bit beyond before returning back to Denver in time to get checked in to our hotel and get to Coors Field for a 7 p.m. game.>>>

I know a couple who have smapshots of every State Capitol building in the continental US. Of course, they know absolutely nothing else about the States in which those buildings are located.

Arrive DEN noon, rent a car. Drive to Cheyenne and back. Hotel check in before Rockies game.

Jeez, I'd be tempted to just fib.

Have a nice, quick trip.

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Denver - Wyoming and Continental Divide ?

There really is no reason to go past Cheyenne. If you drive up I-25 from Denver to Cheyenne, just spend some time in Cheyenne and turn around. Wyoming is flat past Cheyenne --- not even any trees to look at for lots and lots of miles. For scenery you'd need to head toward Laramie, and you really don't have time to do Cheyenne and Laramie. Laramie isn't that great of a town either (very small), and it's not in the mountains, just near them. Since you will be going to the mountains on Saturday, I'd just skip the Wyoming mountains unless you have more time.

There is a pretty neat area just along side the interstate near the Colorado-Wyoming border called "Natural Fort". It only takes a few minutes to see and you'll know it when you get there. It's a rock formation that looks like a fort. It's really the only thing to see.

If you are really into checking off states, Nebraska is just a few miles down the interstate from Cheyenne --- you could do that one while you are in the area.

8. Re: One day in Denver - Wyoming and Continental Divide ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 04:15