We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

toll road surcharge for rental cars

indianapolis, in
Level Contributor
91 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
toll road surcharge for rental cars

We arrive at Denver airport then want to go to red rock ampitheater and then down to colorado springs. Will then return to denver and drive up to estes Park. Will i encounter toll roads? The surcharge is optional but then have to agree not to drive on toll roads. never been there and not sure if will need to use toll roads. Help- do I need to get this option?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: toll road surcharge for rental cars

I would avoid using the toll road from near the airport to the Red Rock Amphitheater. The toll road 470 is electronic (tranponder). The rental companies charge you extra to find and submit your name for toll collection.

Instead, talke Penna Blvd (the airport exit route) to its end at Interstate 70. Take the Interstate toward Denver. Stay in the right lane, after about a mile you see the sign for I-225 to Colorado Springs. I- 225 will take you to I-25, south. It , in turn, will take you to Route 470 (non-toll portion). You want to take it in the direction of Grand Junction. The Red Rock exit is from Rt.470

After the concert reverse directions on the 470 to the I-25 exit, south, to Colorado Springs. Where are you going in the Springs?

indianapolis, in
Level Contributor
91 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: toll road surcharge for rental cars

Thanks for directions. i did map quest ND KEPT TELLING ME 470-DID NOT UNDERSTAND THERE WAS A NO TOLL PORTION. Also did not have me take 225 to 25 to 470-your option seems shorter. We will spend 3 nights and 2 full days in the springs-pikes peak and garden of gods top bill want to check out broadmoor although booked up for our stay will just walk around and heard about golden bee resturant with piano sing along sounds fun. May tour air force academy or olympic training site. want to amble around manitou springs and old colorado for shopping and people watching. Little too much for 2 days but will try to get in as much as possible. Know of anyplace to buy oxygen canisters/

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: toll road surcharge for rental cars

I saw your oxygen posting. Checked with REI, but they don't have anything.

My wife ( 87)uses oxygen at night, but has a prescription for it. The "biggie"in town is APRIA Healthcare (719) 262-2600.

Denver is 1 mile high, Colorado Springs 6,300ft. (Our house is at 6,820, opposite from the USAF Academy.

indianapolis, in
Level Contributor
91 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: toll road surcharge for rental cars

broadmoor booked up in coloraDO springs have you heard anything about garden of gods vs cheyenne mt resort. looking for more upscale accomodations with double beds (LEAVES OUT GLEN ERIE CLIFF HOUSE). suggestions appreciated

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: toll road surcharge for rental cars

Don't know anything about either.

The Hilton Antler Hotel is right downtown in a great location. Plenty of parking and many restaurants within easy walking distance. You may want to take a look at it. Have never heard anything negative about them.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,456 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: toll road surcharge for rental cars

As noted, there is nowhere on your route you would need a toll road. The only one is E-470 on the east side. And coming back to DIA from Colorado Springs, it's not necessary - you can stay on I-225 to I-70 and avoid tolls.

Too bad Broadmoor is full. Cheyenne Mountain Resort is also quite fantastic. Antler's Hilton downtown is also very good and lots of restaurants within a few blocks. Definitely try to get a mountain view (versus a city view).

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: toll road surcharge for rental cars

If we are taking the toll road from Denver airport to Colorado Springs do they still take cash, we will be in a rental car, or is it all electronic now? Last time were were there you could pay cash.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,224 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: toll road surcharge for rental cars

Don't take any toll roads in Denver with a rental car. Just drive Pena Blvd to I70 to I25 and then south to Colorado Springs.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: toll road surcharge for rental cars

No.It's all electronic now.

But there is no need to take the toll road to get to the Springs.

Take Penna Blvd from the airport all the way to where it ends at I-70. Going west on I-70, stay in the right lane. The ramp for the I-225 (going south) comes almost immediately. It is marked Colorado Sporings. Take it to where it merges with I-25, going south. Again marked Colorado Springs. There is one short stretch, south of Colfax Ave. where the traffic tends to slow down during rush hours. It's not long, and will ease up near the first light rail station. Driving distance is about the same as on the Toll Road.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: toll road surcharge for rental cars

Thanks so much y'all! My husband thinks it will take an extra 45 minutes if we don't take the toll road. We won't be leaving the airport until about 7-7:30 pm so I think we should be fine as far as traffic, and head back to Denver about 10am Sunday.

Thanks again!!