We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trip - flyfishing tips please?

California
Level Contributor
47 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Short trip - flyfishing tips please?

Will be in Denver for a few days in early July; will have rental car. Any recommendations on a place where I can fly fish? How far and what type of flies should I bring? Are there any Natural History museums to visit? Any other fishing/outdoor type things I should visit or see? Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short trip - flyfishing tips please?

There is great fishing right here in town - Summit County area - about 60 minutes from downtown Denver. I am sure there are good spots along Clear Creek too (closer to Denver) - plus in the Estes Park area. I am unaware of any fishing in the Denver area. There is Bass Pro and REI - plus in the smaller towns like Silverthorne, Frisco, Estes - you can find an angler shop that can tell you spot on what flies to be using as well as any tips about areas to visit. I always stop and ask prior to heading out - however the biggest Rainbow I ever caught was on an ocean spinner! LOL - Probably and old wise fish that had never seen that before - he tasted good! :-)

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short trip - flyfishing tips please?

Fly fishing Deckers Canyon on the South Platte would be the spot. Not always easy to fish, but... if there's a hatch it can be epic. Every fly shop in Denver can tell you where and what flies to fish. There are some big fish in that river. Closest quality water to Denver.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short trip - flyfishing tips please?

if you had more time Gunnison is a great place to go. Perhaps a consideration for a future trip:

http://www.gunnisoncrestedbutte.com/fishing

Edited: 03 June 2011, 21:22
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,203 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short trip - flyfishing tips please?

Yes great fly fishing in Summit County! I have not been but I hear great things about Chip and his crew at

http://www.summitflyfish.com/

California
Level Contributor
47 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short trip - flyfishing tips please?

Thanks to all for your replies! I hope I can get on the water, somewhere, for awhile at least. If you have any afterthoughts, please add and I'll check recent posts.

Tight lines,,,,

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
366 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short trip - flyfishing tips please?

Closest and probably the best is the South Platte River near Deckers. The best section of this river is the Cheesman Canyon section. Pretty scenic and productive. It is designated Gold Medal water. It will take about 45 minutes to drive there. Another option is the Blue River in Silverthorne (just over an hour to get there without traffic). Also Gold Medal water with some real big fish. Please note that you will be fishing in the middle of the factory outlets so you lose the scenic aspect but it may be an advantage if you want to shop or eat at a restaurant.

Please check water flows as we have had a lot of snow and the rivers may be running real high.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short trip - flyfishing tips please?

You are only fishing in the outlet area if you choose to go in there - the Blue is a long river and there are lots of sections with gorgeous views. Go north of silverthorne - just a few minutes - and there are lots of pull overs, campgrounds, places to park, and fish.

8. Re: Short trip - flyfishing tips please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 05:18