We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Park to Nathrop (Mt Princeton) driving question

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
276 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Park to Nathrop (Mt Princeton) driving question

We are traveling from Snow Mt. Ranch in Granby (Winter Park area) to Nathrop next week. I know it's out of the Denver area but I'm wondering if any of you Denver experts have any words of advice for us... like things not to miss along the way or recommended roads to take (or not take).

Thanks

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Park to Nathrop (Mt Princeton) driving question

Some route options:

Route: Granby-Natthrop via: Winter Park, Berthoud Pass, I-70, Georgetown (sightseeing) Silver Plume (train ride) Loveland Pass (hwy 6) Keystone ski area, back road (Tiger?) to Breckinridge, sightseeing in Breckinridge, hwy 9 via Alma (South Park City sightseeing) to hwy 285 to Nathrop

Route: Granby-Nathrop via: Winter Park, Berthoud Pass, I-70, Georgetown (sightseeing) Silver Plume (train ride), Eisenhower tunnel, stop just past Dillon at Lake overlook, continue to Copper Mtn, then South on hwy 91 through Climax (small outdoor mining museum, to Leadville (sightseeing, Antiques, Matchless Mine. Option of another train ride.....this one is longer) South on 24 to 285 to Nathrop

This one is pretty neat

Route: Route: Granby-Nathrop via: Winter Park, Berthoud Pass, I-70, Georgetown (sightseeing), then south from Georgetown on the Guanella pass road to 285. It's gravel, but easily passable by all vehicles. Backside views of Mt Evans. 285 over Kenosha Pass and on to Nathrop. (This route takes you into Middle Park) You still have the South Park City Museum available on this route. Could also veer west at Como, and take the Boreas Pass road (gravel, passable by all vehicles) to Breckinridge then continue route #1 above. (Boreas Pass route was originally a railroad grade)

Have a great trip

tptr

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
276 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Park to Nathrop (Mt Princeton) driving question

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that out for me. That helps considerably! Looking forward to seeing Colorado's beauty! Thanks again!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,689 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Park to Nathrop (Mt Princeton) driving question

Just a note of caution...before driving Boreas Pass or any of Colorado's unpaved mountain roads, read your car rental agreement carefully and ask whether travel on maintained gravel roads is allowed and what charges you might be liable for if there is any paint damage or a rock chip in the window. Also, what is the procedure should you have a mechanical failure. (You would think that if the car has a mechanical failure due to no fault of yours that the company would cover it, but if the contract prohibits travel on certain roads, you could be liable for towing and repair.) It's a good idea to check with your own insurance agent and your credit card company to see what coverage you have and what additional coverage you might need. When we went to Alaska, we purchased a rider through our own insurance. (Probably a good idea to know this in any event, since rock chips can occur even on paved highways and sometimes travel on unpaved surfaces is unavoidable--i.e. road construction zones, etc.)

Many people do travel these roads in rental vehicles and as tptr notes, some of them are well maintained county roads & easily passable by any passenger car. (The unpaved west side of Cottonwood Pass is another good example...the last time we were on it, the road surface was smoother than most highways, more like packed clay with very few rocks) The Colorado DEs just want you to be informed and aware so as not to get blindsided with unforeseen charges. For further discussion, look on the general Colorado forum under Top Questions to the upper right.

Edited: 24 August 2011, 13:53
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
276 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Park to Nathrop (Mt Princeton) driving question

Thanks. I'd actually prefer to avoid unpaved roads. I did that with my husband 20 years ago and once was enough! Of Options 1, 2, and 3... are any of those on all paved roads?

I'm thinking I'd better go pack the Dramamine!

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Park to Nathrop (Mt Princeton) driving question

The first two are paved state or county highway routes.

There is nothing earth-shattering or scary about the third route gravel roads.

6. Re: Winter Park to Nathrop (Mt Princeton) driving question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 23:16