We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for getaway Family with 8 year old

Jackson, WYoming
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Topic
Ideas for getaway Family with 8 year old

We live in Jackson Wyoming and thought we would take a road trip to Colorado over spring break.

Besides skiing what kind of activities/ fun places are suggested for a 8 year old. Is the kids museum too 'young' for her?

thanks Laura

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for getaway Family with 8 year old

I'm not sure what route you intend to take, but if you come down the western side of the state to catch I-70, you might consider a stop in Glenwood Springs. The Hot Springs Pool is great, Sunlight Mtn offers family priced skiing.

In Denver, I loved the Natural History Museum.

Denver
Level Contributor
422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for getaway Family with 8 year old

An 8 year old would love both the Museum of Science and Nature and the Denver Zoo. I would plan a trip to both of those spots.

A very fun place to take your daughter is Casa Bonita. It is, as the TV show "South Park" refers to it, the "Disneyland of Mexican restaurants." Your daughter will never forget it. The food can be pretty bad, though, so you might want to eat a little something first. The sopapillas (sp?) are excellent, however, so maybe you can fill up on them.

If the weather is nice, you can play a round of mini-golf at one of the finest mini-golf courses around - Adventure Golf in Sheridan (about 20 minutes north-west of downtown). Very fun spot for both kids and adults (at least, for those adults who like mini-golf).

Have fun!

Jackson, WYoming
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for getaway Family with 8 year old

My husband says he seems to remember some billboards about dinasaurs at some museum--- is this the one you are refering to?

We are also thinking of staying in a nice hotel- when we were in Michigan we stayed at this hotel where they had this huge water

pool/playground (inside) and then upstairs they had video games etc.

Is there anything like that around denver? The hotel was pretty nice too.

Denver
Level Contributor
422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for getaway Family with 8 year old

The Museum of Nature and Science (not Science and Nature as I originally posted) has one of the country's best dinosaur exhibits, so if dinosaurs are of interest, you won't want to miss it.

Colorado
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for getaway Family with 8 year old

ocean journey. a great aquarium for a dry place like denver. expensive to get into but geat for her age also is nearby 6 flags elitch gardens. which may open in june.

Denver
Level Contributor
422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for getaway Family with 8 year old

Actually, Six Flags Elitch Gardens opens on weekends in April, but that still may be too late for Spring Break...

Jackson, WYoming
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for getaway Family with 8 year old

Thanks for all the ideas. now we need a Hotel.

something upscale with a indoor pool??

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for getaway Family with 8 year old

Note: Ocean Journey isn't Ocean journey anymore. It is the Downtown Aquarium, owned by Landry's Seafood. Haven't been since the change over, my understanding is it is still a rather large aquarium, but now there is also a large dining space...I'm imagining eating fish with one staring right at ya....

Not sure on the hotel question.....

Definitely eat BEFORE going to Casa, but know that they will make you buy something there too.