We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zip code and gps

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
324 reviews
Save Topic
Zip code and gps

On my last trip to USA I sometimes found that if I put the zip code of a hotel into the rented gps it took me to the edge of town, not to the hotel. What was I doing wrong?

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
653 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zip code and gps

I don't know anything about GPS use in vehicles (only the handheld ones used for hiking), but I'm going to make a guess here. If the only information you were entering for your hotel was the zip code, then it may have just been guiding you to either the center of that zip code's region or the nearest boundary of that region.

Zip code areas can cover a significant amount of square miles, depending on the population density of a place. We once lived in the country, and had the same zip code as we had when we lived in the city 25 miles away.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zip code and gps

Thanks that makes sense. In UK the postcode gets you to the right block.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,226 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zip code and gps

We have "zip plus 4" which will take you to the address but the additional four digits don't seem to be that widely used except for bulk mail and such.

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zip code and gps

The zip code will take you to the center of the zip code area. For instance, my zip code has an area of 209.4 square miles, so when I put the only the zip code into a mapping application, it goes to the somewhere in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

5. Re: Zip code and gps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 04:16