We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to ski resorts out of Denver

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
driving to ski resorts out of Denver

On the way to Steamboat Springs last year saw a lot of interesting ski mountains etc on the way through from Denver. Can anyone give me advice - considering just hiring a car and driving up the highway and taking pot luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We're two Aussie couples.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,862 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to ski resorts out of Denver

Not sure if you will be able to get lodging depending on your vacation dates. Look at Summit County (Breck, Keystone, Copper) or Winter Park.

A Basin and Loveland are day resorts without lodging at their bases. Keystone is the closest lodging for A Basin and probably Georgetown or Idaho Springs for Loveland.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to ski resorts out of Denver

From the highway you also saw Vail and Beaver Creek.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to ski resorts out of Denver

You also saw Copper Mountain on I-70.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,898 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to ski resorts out of Denver

Are you talking about a day of skiing and then returning to Denver or finding a place to stay? Depending on when you are talking about, I'd have lodging the three places I'd look at are Keystone, Breckenridge and Beaver Creek.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,517 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to ski resorts out of Denver

There are two basic drives from Denver to Steamboat. If you took US40 last year, the only notable resort you would have seen would have been Winter Park. It's a very easy daytrip from Denver.

If you drove further out on I-70 so Silverthorne and then up to Steamboat, you would have passed Loveland at the east entrance to the tunnel. A-Basin is up and over the pass on US6, with Keystone just a bit further down. But you wouldn't have passed them if you took the tunnel. Again, all easy daytrips from Denver.

As noted, others nearby which you wouldn't have passed last year include Breckenridge and Copper Mountain.

Any of these resorts are an easy drive from Denver. If you're going up on a Saturday or Sunday, traffic will be horrendous so go very, very early. Midweeks not so bad.

Have a good trip.

6. Re: driving to ski resorts out of Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2012, 10:16