We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best months to visit

ohio
Level Contributor
165 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
best months to visit

like to hike and spend time in mountains. thinking june-july?

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,361 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best months to visit

Think September! The crowds have lessened considerably and the weather is perfect. Fall foliage is beautiful. Most years the 3rd week of September is start of the peak. The peak of elk rut starts mid-September. Hiking any time in September is wonderful.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best months to visit

fv1989, so funny, when I read the title of this post, the month that popped into my mind was also September! For all of the reasons you said.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,737 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best months to visit

If you are thinking between June and July, I'd go with late June. Typically warm but the monsoon rains have not yet started.

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
671 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best months to visit

Also, depending on the kind of winter we had, early June can still have a lot of snow still on the higher elevation trails. Not that snow on the trails keeps us from getting out there...

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best months to visit

The afternoon thunderstorms are done by September. In the middle of summer, a person needs to be off of the mountain(s) by afternoon, unless they want to study lightning up close. Colorado is number 10 on the list of states with the most lighting deaths and injuries combined from 1959-1994 …noaa.gov/papers/…section3a But the 9 states ahead of Colorado on the list all have larger populations.

ohio
Level Contributor
165 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best months to visit

Wow, never considered lightning. september looks like the consensus.

thank you

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best months to visit

We were at our place for the full month of Sept (2011) Have not done that for some time.

Definitely best month for a visit. Most tourists have left, and the rv-ers are starting to think about warmer climes for winter. (my apologies to the full-timers as I mean nothing disparaging)

The climate changes over the past 2 or 3 years seem to have everything messed up. The monsoon seemed a lot earlier this past summer.

High country usually gets hit pretty good March into April, but even that seems to have changed a bit.

But I digress as usual................SEPTEMBER!!!!!!!! (the aspens were marvelous in 2011)

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best months to visit

I didn't mean to make the lightning thing sound so scary! But the high mountains are prone to mid afternoon lighting strikes late June to August, so most hikers try to be off the high mountains by then. According to the NWS Colorado Lightning Resource Page "In an average year, 3 people are killed and 13 are injured." http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pub/?n=ltg.php

Also, if you are spending very much time in the mountains, buy a fishing license or a Search & Rescue Card colorado.gov/cs/…1251592090523

Edited: 08 January 2012, 00:43
ohio
Level Contributor
165 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best months to visit

great tips, now comes the planning.

thanks

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best months to visit

If you're planning on doing high altitude hiking (i.e. anything above ~10,000 ft), don't come any earlier than the 4th of July, as there can still be a lot of snow up there. The best time for this type of hiking is late July through early September, though early-July through mid-October has potential to be good as well.