We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

denver airport

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
391 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
denver airport

How far is the airport from downtown please. Not sure wether to hire a car straight away when landing or explore downtown denver for a couple of days then rent a car. Would be grateful for suggestions.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: denver airport

It's about a 40min drive to the center of downtown from Denver International Airport (DIA).

If you're planning on staying downtown for a few days, you can always take the bus from DIA to downtown Denver and then rent a car later. (check …rtd-denver.com/schedules/… for these airport bus schedules and route information). If you're only planning on exploring downtown for a day, it's probably more convenient to just rent a car at the airport right away.

Edited: 23 January 2012, 21:34
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,212 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: denver airport

Agree take the bus, you'd not want a car downtown. If you want one later you can rent one downtown at any number of car rental counters, Cheaper than at the airport too.

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: denver airport

The correct bus from the airport to downtown is Skyride AF www.rtd-denver.com/skyRide_SubHome.shtml

Denver, Colorado
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: denver airport

There are a few options. A cab downtown has a flat rate of $55. The AF bus has a few stops and is $11-$13. You may want to see how far of a walk it is from your hotel to the closest bus stop and if you can haul your luggage that far.

If you take the bus, have exact change and bring cash. If you want to get outside of downtown during your stay you can see if the LightRail or bus can get you there, or maybe getting a car would be the best.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: denver airport

I agree with others that it may make the most sense to ride the RTD Skyride AF bus to downtown. If you take this as far as the downtown Market Street Station (16th and Market) you can then, if it is convenient, use the free shuttle which runs the length of the 16th Street Mall. When you arrive at the airport, you can purchase a bus ticket at the RTD counter located in the ground transportation area on the west side of the main terminal, level 5 (open until 6:30 PM M-F, 4:00 PM S-S); they accept some credit cards (e.g. VISA, American Express, Mastercard, Discover)

Denver
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: denver airport

Hi Palamino2

It depends what time from downtown Denver you leave to the airport. I would suggest not to leave in rush hour. I usually leave 2 hours early before the plane take off so I can have time to check in. If you hardly to make a trip to Denver, why not stay a few days to explore more Denver Colorado

http://www.life-in-denver.com/

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
391 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: denver airport

Thanks for all the info

Hi Lifeindenver

We are going to explore the denver area for about 3 days then go to a ranch for 4 days then back to Denver for a couple of days - any ideas on what to do would be appreciated. (we love anything to do with the cowboy life)

xxxx
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: denver airport

I need to rent a car in DEN for a week. The rates at the airport are 3 times more than the city. I made a reservation at a place a few miles from the airport for $1000 less but then I noticed this:

This office is approximately 4 miles from the Denver Airport. Customers

who rent from this branch and have flown into the airport within 24 hours

will be subject to airport fees even though this branch does not service

the airport directly.

Is this enforced? How?

Thanks.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: denver airport

If this is the rule they'll simply enforce the airport taxes and fees by charging you. Call and find out what you're final price will be and compare with direct rental at DEN.

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: denver airport

xxx136, when are you renting and what type of car are you pricing? I just picked a date and SUV with AVIS using a discount code available to anyone and found a price of about $240/week. I posted the details in response to another question.

tripadvisor.com/…38330528