We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver area 2nd week May

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
391 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
Denver area 2nd week May

Hi guys

We are flying into Denver in May, we don't want to stay in a downtown large hotel, but want to be within walking distance of 16th Mall - there seem to be a few B & B's but can't decide which one - any suggestions. Also we have only 3 days to look around the area and would appreciate some ideas what to see and do without being in the car too long.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,752 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denver area 2nd week May

I know from your other post you are headed to Sedalia and Lost Valley Dude Ranch after your time in Denver. Depending on what is too long in the car, a day trip to Rocky Mountain National Park is an amazingly scenic drive from Denver. Trail Ridge Road in RMNP is usually open to Rainbow Curve by mid-May. The most scenic route is a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive from Denver. A less scenic route is only 1 1/2 hours. You will have plenty of horseback riding at Lost Valley, but there are many riding options in the RMNP area. There are also many short walks and trails that will be snow free. Wildlife (elk, deer, big horn sheep, coyotes) will still be at lower elevations for good viewing. You can book a tour through the park as opposed to driving. http://www.nps.gov/romo is the park site. If any of this interest you, let me know and I can help you plan a great day trip to RMNP.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
153 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denver area 2nd week May

If you drive one hour south on I-25 you will get ti Colorado Springs. Lots of things to do and see here. Consider a day tour.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denver area 2nd week May

and then of course there's Denver, Boulder and the surrounding metro area...Celestial Seasonings tour, Pearl Street, Red Rocks, Buffalo Bill museum, Lookout Mountain, lots of museums, restaurants, etc. Check www.denver.org and www.colorado.com for ideas, for starters.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Denver area 2nd week May

Here's a handy roundup of Denver B&Bs, including such great spots as the Capitol Hill Mansion, Adagio Bed & Breakfast and

Queen Anne Bed & Breakfast.

http://www.denver.org/hotels/bed-breakfasts

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denver area 2nd week May

Trust TripAdvisor reviews for the B&B decision, they are always spot on in my experiences with everything about travel. Pick a place in Capitol Hill neighborhood or across the I-25 walking bridge in Highlands, both hoods are old mixed with new with an easy walk to downtown. Even better, you can rent a bike, to get info look on denver.bcycle.com which is a fantastic way to get around town. Our weather is usually incredible, you will probably want to be outside for your discoveries.

A short trip that is close in the mountains is up Mt Evans via Evergreen then down to Idaho Springs, can make stop at Red Rocks on the way up or back, plenty of hiking trails and a river along this path. Could be a 1/2 day trip so you can experience the wonderous mountains so close to Denver.

If you like sports take in a Rockies baseball game, at one of the best sports venues in North America. Have fun!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,752 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denver area 2nd week May

The road to the summit of Mt. Evans is not scheduled to open until May 25 (Friday of Memorial Day weekend). Sometimes the road as far as Summit Lake is opened earlier, but don't plan on that. You could drive to Echo Lake. The Juniper Pass picnic area on 103 between Bergen Park and Echo Lake has a great overlook. www.mountevans.com/

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Denver area 2nd week May

fv1989 - FYI Mt Evans road is maintained to the lake year round now because of a place called Echo Mountain, the kids favorite terrain park now for snow boarding. The 1st time I drove up there in the winter a couple of years ago from the Evergreen side I thought there could not possibly be a ski area down the road, snow was a foot deep with no tracks, I went for it with 5 anxious teenagers in the 4 wheel drive vehicle. Lo and behold another mile or two there it was, I now had happy kids!

My nephews live in Dallas, TX and every year now come out at least once a winter just to go to Echo Mountain. The area is advertised heavily in Denver, and the road has to be plowed to get the boarders up there. I always make it a round trip and go down through Idaho Springs to I-70, often I drop them off in the morning, go to Blackhawk/Central City for the day myself, to return later to pick them up. I have been on the Mt Evans road also with 10 feet of snow on both sides before, that was an amazing and beautiful trip once that I will always remember fondly.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,752 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denver area 2nd week May

iknowdenver, I am not mistaken. What my post says is that you can drive to Echo Lake but not to Summit Lake. Echo Mountain Resort is located on state highway 103 not on the Mount Evans Road also known as Highway 5. As I said in my post, highway 5 is closed from Echo Lake to the summit of Mt. Evans. Summit Lake is on highway 5 on the way to the summit. Echo Lake is on highway 103 and is the lake you are referring to. Yes, as I also said in my post, Palamino2 can drive the part of the Mount Evans Scenic Byway on state highway 103, but it is not likely that any of highway 5 (what most people consider the scenic byway) will be open.

Hopefully, any confusion from my reply #6 is now clear.

Edited: 11 March 2012, 23:50
9. Re: Denver area 2nd week May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 20:13