We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late March Skiing Near Denver

nyc
Level Contributor
38 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Late March Skiing Near Denver

hi all,

we're planning a long ski weekend at the end of this month and we fly into denver, co. we're willing to drive a bit. we need a mountain with lots of advanced stuff for my hubby as well as great blue/'green areas, preferably up at the top so i can enjoy the views.

i did a little research and heard about: Loveland Ski Area, Keystone, Copper, Winter Park , A-Basin and a few others. we've been to Breckenridge but my husband didn't love it. he mentioned he might want to go to Vail. i really don't want to drive more than 2 1/2 hours from the airport. we'd love ski on ski off or at least some cool amenities.

any advice on how to approach it?

we get in tuesday night and leave late sunday morning. i'm thinking we'll stay near the airport the first night or maybe spend a day at a ski resort up to an hour away on our way to a further resort.

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Loveland Ski Area
Loveland Ski Area
358 Reviews
Georgetown, CO
Keystone
Keystone
Colorado
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,829 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late March Skiing Near Denver

If he's interested in Vail, go there. There's honestly not a big drive time difference from some of the other closer areas. You can make it from airport to Vail in about two hours, just a few minutes more than Breckenridge. The only area that would make sense if you wanted an en route stop might be Copper Mountain or maybe Keystone. Loveland and A-Basin area great, but there's no lodging or other village infrastructure there. Winter Park is maybe 20-25 minutes closer to airport than Vail, but in a different direction off I-70.

Also think about Beaver Creek. It's a bit further than Vail but shares a ticket. And you'll have a better shot at a good price on ski in/out lodging than Vail, in all likelihood.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Copper Mountain
Copper Mountain
784 Reviews
Copper Mountain, CO
Keystone
Keystone
Colorado
Loveland
Loveland
Colorado
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,056 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late March Skiing Near Denver

I'd go straight to Vail!

nyc
Level Contributor
38 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late March Skiing Near Denver

i'm so depressed, i thought there might be a big snow dump and instead the weather is beautiful. feh.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,056 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late March Skiing Near Denver

Better than bad weather and no snow! I'll bet there is still fun to be had,no?

nyc
Level Contributor
38 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late March Skiing Near Denver

i guess we'll be finding out. i've been struggling with the idea of rebooking in tahoe but the flights but it's so much further away, more expensive, and i don't want to lose our money. still holding off on booking a room although we're arriving tuesday. i'll probably use hotwire anyway. just have to decide on a town. perhaps vail as has been recommended. thanks all.

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,016 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late March Skiing Near Denver

I skied A Basin and Copper last week. Conditions were pretty good, considering. We had fun.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,056 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late March Skiing Near Denver

Oh I thought you were already here? Vail got a few inches the other day. Like Babalax I skied last Sat @ Keystone and the groomers were in pretty good shape. I had fun.

From what I hear Tahoe is not all that great. Yes they did get a big snow but they have had little overall. My friend that skis there often said it is still pretty "grassy"

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Keystone
Keystone
Colorado
Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
418 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late March Skiing Near Denver

You could look at a connecting flight into Durango from Denver. Durango Mtn Resort has a 69" base, Wolf Creek has a 102" base. Both received fresh powder earlier this week - DMR 12" and WC 17". Conditions in SW CO are great.

www.onthesnow.com/colorado/skireport.html

Mentioned in this post
Durango
Durango
Colorado
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Sugar Land
Level Contributor
187 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late March Skiing Near Denver

it may be too late, but Beaver creek sounds like a good fit for you & your hubby. There are lots of green runs at the top, plus several easy blues for you, plus plenty of black & double black runs for your husband. We skiied there over spring break and will be back for Easter. All of the lifts are still running, and most runs (including fun greens with nice views) are open. There are very good lodging deals still available.

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: Late March Skiing Near Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 09:15