We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Denver - 7 Full Days to Drive - RockyMountainsNort

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Flying to Denver - 7 Full Days to Drive - RockyMountainsNort

Seeking suggestions --

Flying to Denver - Wanted to take a round trip back to Denver; Have 7 Days -- Just me n my wife (leaving the little one with Grand Parents)

Thinking off Yellowstone Natl Park; Glacier Natl Park; Banff National Park; Lake Louise and back to Denver.

I know 7 Days is too short, but my initial idea was to just drive around(I have plans to visit Yellowstone again during winter 2013).

Having said that - can anyone chime in where should i spend more time and what can be skipped?

Also how do the US Car rentals (Hertz) work in canada? Do i have to be up front about it?

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,401 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Denver - 7 Full Days to Drive - RockyMountainsNort

Wow, that is a lot of driving. To go to Lake Louise and all the places you mentioned in 7 days is too much. The round trip mileage is nearly 3,000 miles just to get there and back without doing any sight seeing.

I got this information about taking a rental car into Canada from another website - " Driving a rental car across the US-Canadian border is usually not a problem, so long as you have made this arrangement with the car rental company. Make sure you have a copy of the rental agreement with you, and that is states you have permission to take the vehicle across the border." They are cracking down on possible car thefts so you will need to prove you have permission to take the car out of the country.

imho I would not try to do so much in 7 days. To do just RMNP and YNP would be plenty.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Denver - 7 Full Days to Drive - RockyMountainsNort

Too much to cover.

Do some homework, purchase a guidebook and read up.

Plenty of great stuff to cover in Colorado during the 7 days.

"Circle" trips in Colorado come up fairly often on the forum.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,504 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Denver - 7 Full Days to Drive - RockyMountainsNort

Way too much driving for 7 days- we've flown into Denver and here are some suggestions-

RMNP and Black Hills of SD- about 6 hours to Black Hills from RMNP and 7 or more back to Denver

RMNP, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons- a full day of driving to YNP and from GTNP to Denver

Grand Junction, Black Canyon NP, Ouray, Durango, Mesa Verde NP, Colorado Springs and back to Denver

Good luck!!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,212 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Denver - 7 Full Days to Drive - RockyMountainsNort

Are you familiar with the Road Trip forum?

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

You might want to post there, since your trip would include several states.

I agree with everyone else--WAY too much driving. Salt Lake City would be a slightly closer airport, but with only a week, all you will be doing is driving. IMO you need a minimum of two to three days at Yellowstone and that is just to hit some highlights.

With just the two of you, I bet you'd save enough in gas to get your airline ticket to Jackson or another smaller airport closer to Yellowstone and Glacier. If you could fly in closer, 7 days would be okay for a sample of Yellowstone and Glacier. Or maybe fly in to Missoula, Helena, Spokane or ?? and go to Glacier and Banff....I'm not really sure of which smaller airport would be best...I see Frontier flies in to Bozeman and Great Falls, and I've recently found better rates on Frontier than even Southwest, but you can get from Dallas to Spokane on Southwest. They've got some "Wanna Get Away" fares from 155-225 to Spokane right now.

5. Re: Flying to Denver - 7 Full Days to Drive - RockyMountainsNort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:42