We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone service options for Leadville/Aspen area

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Topic
Cell phone service options for Leadville/Aspen area

I plan on spending a week taking day trips in this and then 3 days around the front range near Colorado Springs. I have AT&T and I'm concerned about reception. I don't want to get caught in a roaming bill nightmare. I'd like to buy a pay per use type phone while there. Who has the best reception for that area? Where to buy?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,990 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone service options for Leadville/Aspen area

I don't see that you should have any issue with using your AT&T plan. While there are a few places where you may roam (Leadville would likely be one), for the most part you should be able to stay on network. Sure, you could pickup a phone at any Walmart, Target, etc. But I can't see that you would really save any money. Any prepaid phone you pickup for the trip would likely have less coverage than your AT&T phone. Checkout the coverage maps online for AT&T to be sure. Absolutely in Denver, Colorado Springs, Aspen, entire I-70 corridor, etc. you will have true AT&T.

You can also set your phone so that it doesn't roam and catch you off guard if your plan doesn't include roaming off network.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone service options for Leadville/Aspen area

I live in Vail and have AT&T, we have no problem with reception in the populated areas of Leadville and Aspen. There are spots where you'll have no service, but that applies to most carriers.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone service options for Leadville/Aspen area

Thanks for the replies. I looked at AT&T's coverage map and it looked pretty spotty. I'll trust your judgement & make sure to have the roaming blocked.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone service options for Leadville/Aspen area

Here's what we did for a road trip in the SW. We have ATT and the service map was spotty outside of the major metropolitan areas in CO, AZ, UT.

I went online to tracfone and looked for a common phone for the zip codes in areas we were going to be. I ordered that and activated it with a MD number where we live. We had reception pretty much everywhere our ATT did not inclcuding the GC north rim.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone service options for Leadville/Aspen area

People who live in Aspen and Leadville have AT&T so I don't see why you should have any more of a problem with phone service than the people living there. And roaming? I have AT&T and I don't think I have ever "roamed" anywhere. Either I have service or I don't and the only network that AT&T doesn't seem to have access to around here is Sprint.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone service options for Leadville/Aspen area

Although we don't have AT&T, don't see why you would have problems with roaming. I know that with Verizon, we have no roaming billed whereever we are in all 50 states. We have used in Alaska and Hawaii besides 48 contiguous states with never a roaming charge. We have friends who have AT&T and they use constantly while in Hawaii with us. I think you need to check AT&T about roaming!!!!!!!!!!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone service options for Leadville/Aspen area

Agreed cruz,

The only times I have ever bought a track phone was when I left the United States. Otherwise, I haven't heard about roaming issues in over a decade. In other words, this is a non-issue.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phone service options for Leadville/Aspen area

The reason roaming was stuck in my head was from my last trip to St. John. The towers on the B.V. I. picked up our signal and it was a mess when I got home. My brother is the one concerned so I'll let him buy a Tracfone if he wants to.

Thanks everyone.

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell phone service options for Leadville/Aspen area

Gotcha.

To clarify, if you leave the country and you leave your phone on, that's a potential problem. However, unless you're traveling to Colorado via Tijuana, you're never leaving the United States. Instead of a track phone, you might recommend that your brother look at a map.

10. Re: Cell phone service options for Leadville/Aspen area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:18