We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Colorado before dude ranch

Bermuda
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Colorado before dude ranch

Please help with your advice. My husband and I and our 3 children (9,7,4) are going to a dude ranch near Granby in July for a week. We are flying into Denver and would like to spend the week before the ranch visiting Rocky Mountain National Park and the Dinosaur National Monument. We are undecided between booking hotels or hiring an RV which we have never done before. We are also unsure how much time to allocate to these attractions. All help welcomed!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Lake, Colorado
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Colorado before dude ranch

Hi checkmate!

I hope you are referring to C lazy u ranch. You will have an unbelievable time! I used to work there. You will get WELL taken care of. As far as where to stay? I would definently check out the grand lake area. The park is right there, and the town itself is just amazing. Please go there. You must check it out.

red

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Colorado before dude ranch

1 day in RMNP is good, more if needed if you like hiking or the scenery. There's not a lot to do other than look at the pretty views, hiking, driving through and the visitor center. Young kids might get bored for more than a day.

I've never been to Dinosaur National Momument but I would guess 1 day is good there also. Figure 2 days travel and you've got 3 more days to spend.

You could go rafting (though the young kid might force you to go on a gentler, guided ride or not go at all, not sure on the minimum age requirement). There's a gentle river near RMNP.

There's also a World's Top 10 water park in the Denver-metro area called Water Park. The kids would have a blast there. A little pricy, but you can find coupons on soda cans or bring canned food (for the homeless, sometimes) and get $5 off. Dr. Pepper or Pepsi cans I think? Just goto a grocery store.

http://www.waterworldcolorado.com/

There's also Six Flags Elitch Gardens. It's got some good coasters; it's not as good as other amusement parks in the country but it's all Colorado has. There's a waterpark there too, but it's not as good as Water World. Just go for the coasters and take the water ride if you wanna get wet.

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/elitchgardens/

You could swing down to Colorado Springs first and take the trainride up Pike's Peak for the awesome view.

http://www.cograilway.com/

You could spend a little of your time in Garden of the Gods when you're down there that day too. There are cool shaped rocks -- like a Ship.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Bermuda
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Colorado before dude ranch

Thanks for your help. I am definitely interested in the water park in Denver. Has anyone got any views on the RV versus hotel decision. I am going off the idea of the RV having read the posts on the scary scenic highways. We might be better off in an SUV!