We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

turbulence?

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
turbulence?

I am a nervous flyer and also get motion sickness. Are the flights in Colorado "bumpy" or is one airport better to fly into than others? I appreciate your help.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,741 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: turbulence?

It can be bumpy flying into Denver. Usually worse in summer months in the late afternoon early evening. I find it worse coming in from the west, heading east, but that is just anecdotal.

When are you coming? Might take a stiff drink or a valium.....

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
989 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: turbulence?

In my experience, flying in or out of Denver the turbulence can be hit or miss. I've experienced both silky smooth and bumpy take offs and landings. That being said, I've also experienced this at other US airports.

Is Denver your final destination or just a connection? If Denver is your final destination, I would still recommend flying into DIA (Denver International Airport) rather than another Colorado airport. While Colorado Springs has an airport, it's much smaller and ticket prices can cost a bit more.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: turbulence?

I am not 100% sure if i will fly into Denver. I would be willing to drive to my destination (to be determined, somewhere in Colorado) to have a smoother flight. My worst experience was in and out of Reno and I'd rather avoid anything like that as much as possible.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: turbulence?

I have to "take something" to get on the plane, so,i agree and think i will need to go prepared. Are there better cities to fly into? Id like to go sometime in ski season

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: turbulence?

Coming from Florida, you should be OK on your Denver approach and take -off during the ski season.

The problem is usually on appioaches from the west. In late Spring, the Rockkes create sometimes what is called standing waves. They are bumpy, but loved by seasoned sailplane pilots

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,374 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: turbulence?

I would make your arrangements at the most practical and reasonably priced airport. You can't predict turbulence, it can happen anywhere. No reason to make it a factor in where you book.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: turbulence?

Thank you for all of your help and advise!

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: turbulence?

I agree with the pp if you fly in from the western mountains, you'll experience more turbulence. Coming down from the higher mountain altitudes can have this effect. Some pilots are much better at it than others and then of course, weather/wind factors apply. Overall though, it's nothing compared to flying through a storm cloud if you've ever done that? At least not in my opinion. Hopefully it won't be too bad and you'll have a great time here!

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: turbulence?

Denver may have advantages in:

1. Size of available aircraft. Smaller airports get few large planes.

2. Price, schedule, and choice of airline.

3. Rental car selection and cost (especially if you are willing to go off-airport to pick up your rental car to avoid airport surcharges).

For seasonality of weather events (and thus, perhaps, of turbulence), it might be worth remembering that Denver's driest 4 months are November - February. In the ski areas (e.g. Vail or Aspen) the precipitation events are more evenly distributed - with November-February as likely for precipitation events as any other months.

Driving to ski towns can be enjoyable, so long as you don't do it at the same hour as everyone else (e.g. Friday afternoon-evening ) or return with everyone (Sunday afternoon-evening) when you'll experience that amazing show of brake lights of the cars lined up ahead of you. Even I70 is scenic (a relative rarity among Interstates, IMHO..).

10. Re: turbulence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 January 2013, 04:35