We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area in Denver

DK
Level Contributor
86 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Which area in Denver

Hi - I am planning our trip to USA in the summer 2013. We will start in Denver for four nights - but what would be the best starting point? We will of course rent a car in the airport. One of the days in Denver we would like to visite Rocky Mountains National Park - after the four days we will continue to Mount Rushmore - Yellowstone - Salt Lake City - Mesa Verde - Durango/Silverton - Colorado Springs. All input would be appreciated. Best regards Helle

denver
Level Contributor
346 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area in Denver

You can easily do a day trip to RMNP from any part of the metro area. Downtown is central to most activities, expect to be charged for parking for your rental. Depending on what you are interested in doing for those days you may want to consider Golden which is on the west side of the metro area and you may avoid some traffic/rush hour. The DTC is on the south side, if the attractions you are interested in are downtown, you'd be commuting.

DK
Level Contributor
86 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area in Denver

Dnvrjeep - thank you for paying my attention to Golden. It seems like this could be the right place for me.

Denver
Level Contributor
95 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area in Denver

Golden convenient to a lot as mentioned but you would be driving to everything. Depends on what you are doing while in Denver. Downtown is nice if you want to take in a Rockies game and hang out there. Not sure if your plans will allow, but I might suggest three nights in Denver, then head to RMNP and stay overnight in Estes Park or on the West entrance side in Grand Lake, Granby or Winter Park before heading over the pass into Estes. Leaving from Estes, you will already have an hour jump on your next Destination of Mount Rushmore.

DK
Level Contributor
86 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area in Denver

Hi Be32 - thanks for your post. It seems like a good idea to spend only three days in Denver (relaxing after the flight from Denmark) and then move forward. I am glad for your input about Easter Park etc. - I would not have found those places myself. Just googled Easter Park - it looks awesome - places like this is why I want to return to areas near Rocky Mountains :). Thanks.

Helle

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area in Denver

First you should know that it is not difficult getting around the Denver or metro area.

I have a great deal of travel experience and the traffic around here doesn't come close to the driving challenges of London, Paris, Berlin, Cairo, Frankfurt, Nairobi or a variety of other major metropolitan areas. Which isn't to say we don't have our issues, but staying on the east side of downtown versus the west, for example will only save you 15 to 20 minutes of travel time depending upon the time of day. On the other hand, you might prefer more bucolic surroundings that a B&B in the suburbs or Golden has to offer. It just depends upon your personal preference.

The real question is what do you want to do while you're here? If you are looking to explore cultural activities, I would suggest staying in or around to downtown (also good to know: Denver is not noisy like staying in central Madrid or Berlin. In fact, Denver is a relatively quiet city). You won't need a car for activities in the downtown area, although having one will certainly be more convenient to access some f the sites a bit farther out (ex. Red Rocks - an amazing almost natural outdoor stage that overlooks the city. A great place with good acoustics to listen to a concert if you have the chance - good hiking there, too).

I would avoid staying east of Denver since it is flat, hot, and relatively boring. Most activities will be downtown, a little south, north and, of course, west. (Hint: if you ever get confused and loose your way look for the mountains which sit directly west of the city).

If you expect to be spending more of your time exploring the outdoors, rafting or hiking for example, then you have an additional set of options, depending upon what you want to do or where you would like to visit.

If you tell us what kind of traveler you are - what makes you happy or what you are looking for, we could perhaps be more helpful.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Access to the foothills and the Rockies is easy and relatively close: 30 minutes from downtown gets you to Golden (Coors beer plant, Denver School of mInes) and Boulder (nice hikes and rock climbing along the Flatirons and people watching in downtown Boulder. One hour gets you into the mountains for more outdoor beauty.

Are you interested in cultural activities (in addition to hiking in Estes)? Denver offers a great deal to do in and around the city, from world class museums and great zoo to botanical gardens, concerts, clubs, a wide variety of gastronomic delights , theater and dance. and free activities (ex. concerts in some of the parks). Finally, after decades of effort we developed a great variety of interesting, provocative and fun cultural activiites.

DK
Level Contributor
86 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area in Denver

DenTvlr - thank you so much for a long and fine answer. What we want to do in Denver is a little rest after our long flight from Denmark. During our stay we have thought about RMNP, Red Rock, Outlet Mall and maybe some cultural things in Denver City. I am very happy to know that Denver is easy getting around in. When you do not know the city it is difficult to imagine the size of it and how it is. When you say downtown would that be around Colfax Ave and Broadway? Hotels seems like a little expensive downtown, but I could be nice beeing close to downtown if we would like to go out listening to music, theater, museums or something like that. Botanic garden sounds nice. Your post has taught me more about Denver - and I have walked some of the downtown streets at google :). Thanks Helle

Denver
Level Contributor
95 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area in Denver

Helle,

Denmark is beautiful! I have been to both Copenhagen and Aarhus. You are wise to spend a little time in Denver to get used to the climate as we are a mile above sea level, and many people come to Denver from low altitutes and get altitude sickness heading straight to the mountains. Denver is primarily a commuter city so if downtown hotels are pricey, and you are going to have a car anyways, it might be easiest to stay outside of downtown and drive to your destinations.

Yes, Colfax and Broadway are downtown as well as all the streets you will see on a map that run at a diagonal, not North/South East/West. There are always activities going on, you can probably find out from your hotel concierge as to what is available to you in terms of concerts, festivals etc. In terms of the Theater, we have a nice theater district and you can get more information at http://denvertheatredistrict.com/. Many other theaters around down as well. There are also many great museums and depending on your preference, we have a great art museum www.denverartmuseum.org/, Aquarium, http://www.aquariumrestaurants.com/downtownaquariumdenver/default.asp(a little commercialized and pricey now), Zoo www.denverzoo.com, museum of nature and science, many others, and and as you mention, a wonderful Botanical Garden. Also we have a new museum all about Colorado across from the Denver Library called History Colorado Center http://www.historycoloradocenter.org/. You may also check out the Denver Mint, not the best tour but a unique thing to Denver.

You probably have done this but if you look at the things to do in Denver section on Trip Advisor, you can get started with your interests and go from there.

Let us know if you narrow down your hotel choices and we can help you from there. I would stick to a hotel dowtown or south of downtown (as far south as the Tech Center North of Arapahoe) or Golden. I would not necessarily recommend north or east of downtown.

Edited: 29 August 2012, 16:11
DK
Level Contributor
86 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area in Denver

hi be32 - thanks for your comments - and by the way - I live i Aalborg (68 miles north of Århus). Nice that you know Denmark and find it beautiful.

Since your mail I have googled a lot of your recommendations, many fine links thanks. I have made our flight reservations (yesterday) :). I have looked at several hotels/motels, and maybe I will have to ask you for advise about area.

Helle

9. Re: Which area in Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2013, 10:15