We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver vacation with kids - need rafting/activities advice

Wichita, KS
1 post
Save Topic
Denver vacation with kids - need rafting/activities advice

My family of 4 (kids ages 11 & 5) will be vacationing in the Denver area in the last week of June. We would like to go on a kid-friendly rafting trip without traveling too far from Denver. Do you have any recommendations?

Also, what are the top 3 activities to do or sights to see in the Denver area? My husband isn't into hiking. We were thinking the acquarium looked neat...

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denver vacation with kids - need rafting/activities advice

Unfortunately, your youngest is too young to go rafting. Clear Creek Rafting, the closest to Denver, has a minimum age of 7. I doubt any of the other rafting outfitters throughout the state allow kids any younger than that.

Although it's not exactly the same thrill, there are boat rides on Cherry Creek in Denver. Check out this website: http://www.veniceonthecreek.com/

If you've never been to an aquarium, the one in Denver would be OK, particularly for the kids. It's expensive, though.

I'd highly recommend the Zoo and the Museum of Nature and Science in Denver's City Park - both will be entertaining and interesting for the whole family.

A nice place to take a drive to is Golden, just west of Denver. They have an old West area called Heritage Square and a drive to the top of Lookout Mountain and Buffalo Bill's grave is very cool.

If the Colorado Rockies are in town, that's always fun, and tickets are pretty easy to get at the box office.

If all else fails, Elitch Gardens/Six Flag amusement park will fit the bill!

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Denver vacation with kids - need rafting/activities advice

SB is right. Most places won't take your 5 year old on a *real* rafting trip. But you can go "rafting" but it won't nearly be the same excitement.

I posted a ton of rafting info in this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k56500…

So, you can go on the Colorado River (which is rated a 1/2) for example, which any company will take your kid on. Some reccomend only a 1/2 day trip for familes with young kids since they'll get bored fairly fast.

You might be able to get onto a 2/3 depending on the individual company. I tried looking at their websites and they don't mention a minimum age (that I could easilly find) so you may just have to call them directly.

For another water adventure, try Water World. It's rated one of the top 10 waterparks in the world and your kids will have a blast.

http://www.waterworldcolorado.com/