We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver car rentals

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Denver car rentals

Have seen a lot of really negative reviews on some car rental companies in Denver. Fox and Advantage certainly have the cheapest rates, but seems like lots of hassles too. My question is that if I wanted to rent from Enterprise, which I've always had good experiences with, the price for a large SUV at the airport is around 1500 for the week we want to go. If I go off airport (still with Enterprise) I can get the same vehicle for just under 600. I don't know if Enterprises "we'll pick you up program" would allow for that. If not, how much of a hassle would it be to get to the downtown location and pickup the less pricey vehicle? Thanks for any info. We will be getting in around noon, so the off site will be open.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,447 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denver car rentals

Taxi to downtown is around $60 so you would still be ahead. In all likelihood, you can pickup downtown and return to airport. Denver's a funny rental car market with variable pricing depending on the demand and competition. Had an SUV for $18.99/day from Avis two weeks ago. Same exact days/times next week was double.

FYI, there are also closer off-airport locations than downtown. I think Avis may have a location on Quebec.

Good luck.

Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denver car rentals

What's the situation with paying the tolls on E-470 and I-25 as regards rental cars? I'll be flying in to the Denver Int'l Airport in July and renting a car to go to Cheynne, WY (and back to Denver). I've read about rental companies charging exhorbitant amounts for the tolls but does it make sense to create an account with EXpress Toll, which requires $35 to start with? It seems the tolls for my trip on E-470 will cost me about $15 roundtrip, and I can't find how much it'll be for I-25. But can I even do this if I'll be using a rental car? Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Denver car rentals

Avoid the toll roads. You don't need them.

Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denver car rentals

Thanks, Texranger. But how would I avoid them? Looking at GoogleMaps, it seems that's the quickest way to Cheyenne. Is there an alternate route that would get me there without adding hours onto the trip?

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Denver car rentals

Leave the DEN on Pena Blvd and exit I-70 west then 1-25 north to Cheyenne. No need to take tolls.

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denver car rentals

In Google Maps, under 'show options', click the 'avoid tolls' box. Then that pesky toll road will stop showing up in you route. And yes, totally avoid e-470 in a rental car. Life's too short for that sort of self-inflicted issue.

Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Denver car rentals

Much obliged, texranger and timo2! Your posts were very helpful and I now have specific directions to my destination that avoid the toll roads. Thank you for sharing your expertise.

Boston...
Level Contributor
393 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denver car rentals

Yes, Thank you. This will help me as well.

As for renting off airport-DIA has some of the highest taxes and fees and has kept me from returning there. Finally I am coming and fully plan on renting off airport one way or another.

colorado
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Denver car rentals

Easiest way (non- toll road) from DIA is to take the Tower road exit off Pena Blvd. North to 120 th Ave. West to Hwy.85. Hwy 85 goes right into Cheyenne.

Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Denver car rentals

Thank you, kadeycat. It does look like an easy route but according to Google Maps, it is an hour longer than by going on I-25N t(hough only 35 miles more), meaning it would take almost two hours and 45 minutes or so from DIA to Cheyenne. Does that sound accurate to you?