We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo at DIA with snowboards...

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Alamo at DIA with snowboards...

I've found a decent rate for a car rental at Alamo via Costco. Anyone know what dollar amount hold they put on your credit card?

We're driving to Copper Mountain: 2 people + 2 snowboards. Anyone have experience with what types (standard, intermediate, etc) of cars can fit all that? Trying to save money so none of the SUVs, minivans, etc.

Thanks for all the help in advance!!

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo at DIA with snowboards...

Smaller car is fine for 2 people just make sure it's a front wheel drive. Be firm with Alamo. They'll try to upgrade (i.e. upcharge) you on car and insurance. Bring all the Costco paperwork with you too.

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo at DIA with snowboards...

Have you used Costco before for a car rental? I just read the fine print and it says, "Renter is responsible for any increases in state, federal and/or local taxes/fees that may apply at the time of rental."

I just don't want to get to the counter and then end up having to pay for airport fees, etc.

Thank you for your quick reply!

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo at DIA with snowboards...

The T & C mention "increases" in taxes/fees. So existing taxes/fees should be included in your initial quote. I hope you have an itemized listing of the base rate plus all add-on taxes & fees that are included in your original quote. If not, try to get one. Should there be any increases in such fees coming up between then and your trip? Haven't heard of any, but one never knows..

One thing that I have liked renting from Alamo in Denver (though it has been awhile) is that you get to browse the row(s) where cars in your booked class are parked - and select the vehicle. Want a Prius, Mazda3, Focus, or Rav4 and (if they are all in the same class - which has happened to me for all but the Rav4) - take your choice. Have also been offered a gratis upgrade if the inventory in my chosen category was low. Personally, my experiences with Alamo-National at DEN have been quite positive. Of course, YMMV.

BTW, my regular car insurance offers an optional cover for all expenses related to rental car issues (including the "loss of income") related to collision or comprehensive. The charges are low, and my agent provides excellent service. That coverage is an excellent and cheap complement (and more complete than) the coverage provided by my credit card. Maybe such an option could be available and handy for you..

Edited: 07 February 2013, 04:39
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo at DIA with snowboards...

Well actually if it is a generic Costco quote - it may not include the Denver area taxes. Vehicle rentals are more at the airport - they may include an airport fee; however I'm not sure as I have never rented from the airport area. I too always waive the insurance because my personal policy has a zero deductible and covers rentals.

If you must know to the penny you should call the alamo location directly and ask. Also if you are under 25 you may pay additional fees - most places do not rent to under 25 but I think Alamo does but for more $$$. Do not accidentally get on e-470 - you will get dinged with a big fee from the toll road and Alamo.

5. Re: Alamo at DIA with snowboards...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 06:17