We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights in colorado

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
6 nights in colorado

my family and I (two daughters aged 6 & 10) will be travelling from Australia to the USA in September this year. We have around 6-7 nights in Colorado, will be flying in to Denver, heading down to Colorado Springs and eventually driving through New Mexico to Santa Fe.

Our first stop after the long haul flight via Los Angeles will be in Denver. I am trying to figure out whether we would be better off spending 3 nights in Denver or Boulder. We would like to visit the Rocky Mountains, however, will not be doing a lot of strenuous hiking as my six year old won't manage a lot. Due to time constraints, a full day at the Rocky Mountains will be all we can manage with the possibility of a night in Estes park. Would 2 nights in Denver and than a night at Estes Park be a good suggestion, or could we do the Rocky Mountains in a day trip and stay based at either Boulder or Denver? We are interested in seeing wildlife & lakes etc and also visiting museums, sampling regional foods and doing some shopping. We love the idea of being out with nature but I am not a camping type of person and like good restaurants and nice hotels! Any suggestions on where to stay in either Boulder or Denver would be great.

We plan to drive down to Colorado Springs and spend 3 nights at the Broadmoor hotel. It has been suggested to me that two nights in Colorado Springs will be enough but I figure that we will spend at least a day just relaxing and enjoying the resort without doing any sightseeing.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

16th Street Mall
Historic Walking Areas, Shopping Malls, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Cherry Creek North
Flea & Street Markets, Shopping Malls
Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
522 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights in colorado

Last year I saw lots of moose on the west side of RMNP in late July.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,617 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights in colorado

I love Denver and Boulder, but I'd take the nights away from Denver, stay a night in Boulder, a couple in Estes then head to the Broadmoor.

http://www.stjulien.com/ is nice

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights in colorado

I would agree, stay in Boulder for a night, then head up Boulder Canyon to the peak to peak highway and on to Estes and stay here at least a night or two.. On your way to Estes on this route is a very easy, family friendly hike (Lily Lake, as I recall) that would be fine for all ages. Also, up in Bear Lake area is another easy hike around a lake that anyone can manage. The Alluvial Fan area is also interesting and easy to reach. Don't limit your opportunity to see and experience Rocky Mountain National Park due to your 6 year old!

Edited: 02 May 2013, 15:23
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,694 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights in colorado

Just to clarify...I'm guessing you are meaning Rocky Mountain National Park when you say Rocky Mountains, which is the huge mountain range stretching 3000 miles from Canada to New Mexico. In Colorado, we have seven primary ranges of the Rockies: The Front Range, Sawatch Range, Sangre de Cristo, San Juan, Mosquito, Elk Mountains, and Park Range. So you can't really begin to do the Rockies as a day trip! ;)

You could, however, visit Rocky Mountain National Park as a day trip, but I'd recommend you spend at least two of your nights in Estes Park so you can drive Trail Ridge Road and take some walks, see some of those lakes and streams and wildlife without having to drive back to the city each evening. Besides, there are great evening ranger programs and early mornings and late afternoon to dusk are the best times to spot wildlife. Your six year old and the whole family will love it. My apologies, but I just can't imagine coming all the way to Colorado only to spend all of your time in the city, whether it is Denver, Boulder, or Colorado Springs.

Rocky Mountain National Park is a piece of the Front Range set aside to enjoy, preserve, protect from development 415 square miles of wonderland with 72 named peaks over 12,000 feet, 450 miles of streams, 150 lakes, and many miles of trails with easy walks to expert climbs. It is one of the best places in all of Colorado to view wildlife.

Edited: 02 May 2013, 16:12
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,617 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 nights in colorado

<< like good restaurants and nice hotels>> Good restaurants are hard to find in Estes, just so you know. Boulder is a real foodie town so if that is important I'd spend 2 nights there and one in Estes. Shopping in Boulder is great too!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,164 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 nights in colorado

In September, add my vote to staying 2 nights in Estes Park. There is plenty to do in Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. September is a great time to see wildlife. You do not have to love hiking to enjoy RMNP as there are many short and easy walks of less than a mile to alpine lakes and waterfalls. You do not even have to get out of your car to see amazing scenery and animals. While Estes Park is not known for many great restaurants, there are good choices. Why stay in a hotel when you can experience a cabin, condo or vacation rental in a beautiful mountain or river setting? www.estesparkcvb.com has lodging summaries and links to websites. If you have something in mind, ask.

This previous topic was for a family traveling with a 5 and 11 year old. The ideas will work for you. The tram mentioned closes September 2.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60945-i436-k61395…

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
883 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 nights in colorado

I agree, spend at least 2 nights in/around Estes Park. Drive around Rocky Mt. N.P. lots to see. Drive the Peak to Peak Highway.

If you stay in Denver, there are lots of food options. They have one of the best Sushi Restaurants in the US.

In Colorado Springs see the Garden of the Gods.

8. Re: 6 nights in colorado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 05:17